What would you do with 2 million that you can invest for 1 year?

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Invest in property now? o_O

Their returns -10% for 2 years. Ahem...
View attachment 899404

The OM Property fund still isnt a bad investment, I put a small amount of money into the fund and I still turned a profit even with the Index value of the fund under performing OM benchmarks.
The fund itself has healthy contributors with the bulk of them holding very little 'residential property'

Yes, i could have made more money, however, I still made more than 6% profit compared to a fixed deposit with a bank.

Another note, the first two quarters of the fund are performing better that the increases predicted for 2020 - so all in all, I would say that it is not a definitive statement to make that one shouldn't invest in property, perhaps you should look at the specific avenue of investment.(I am referring to investment tranche here not brokers)

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Buy a nice freestanding house. Rent out my apartment. It's what makes the most sense for me since that is the next big financial commitment I wish to make, and the savings in bond interest is as good as an investment. Apart from the rental income from my apartment, and the hopefully inevitable increase in value from the new property.

I'd say that would equate to an effective 10-20%pa return for a long time.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member
Buy a nice freestanding house. Rent out my apartment. It's what makes the most sense for me since that is the next big financial commitment I wish to make, and the savings in bond interest is as good as an investment. Apart from the rental income from my apartment, and the hopefully inevitable increase in value from the new property.

I'd say that would equate to an effective 10-20%pa return for a long time.

I think you are dreaming at those returns.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Step 1 is definitely announce it to the world. I think you forgot to include your physical address though? Bit of an oversight that.

Don't think you can pay out in NZD tho. Some fx on there like zar you can trade but not pay out
My family and I are already physically out of SA (thank goodness for that).
An old man who lived a block away from us was murdered during a break in with a hammer. I will not willingly go back to SA anytime soon.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
Why is everyone saying invest in Tesla, the Smart money at this time have already come and gone twice, and there is another company called Nikola with a 31 Billion dollar valuation with no revenue?

I am confused because this happened before at the turn of the century with the .com bubble. I get that innovation drives markets to an extent - however, every day people are already buying up Tesla shares, their value has taken dip once already. You cannot hold Tesla shares for too long, I don't see EVs turning into a bull market.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Why is everyone saying invest in Tesla, the Smart money at this time have already come and gone twice, and there is another company called Nikola with a 31 Billion dollar valuation with no revenue?

I am confused because this happened before at the turn of the century with the .com bubble. I get that innovation drives markets to an extent - however, every day people are already buying up Tesla shares, their value has taken dip once already. You cannot hold Tesla shares for too long, I don't see EVs turning into a bull market.
It's a gamble, but Tesla can still go very big. Their self-driving trucks, for instance, can take over an entire industry. There's enormous potential.

Scooby_Doo

Executive Member

Those 2 videos might give you some insight.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
It's a gamble, but Tesla can still go very big. Their self-driving trucks, for instance, can take over an entire industry. There's enormous potential.
Though realistically what leverage do you have to offset the cash output? Even with 2 million cash, it doesn't buy you a lot. You're forced into a long position with along with 100000 other bleeting sheep, who have already bought high - like I said, the smart money has come and gone.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Though realistically what leverage do you have to offset the cash output? Even with 2 million cash, it doesn't buy you a lot. You're forced into a long position with along with 100000 other bleeting sheep, who have already bought high - like I said, the smart money has come and gone.
You can't say that. It went up like 100% in the last month alone. Who knows what it'll do.

CT_Biker

Expert Member
You can't say that. It went up like 100% in the last month alone. Who knows what it'll do.

So has the DOW(closed off .6& lower or something yesterday), FTSE 500, S&P 500, NASDAQ, if you look at individual sectors in the US, consumer goods are up - both durable and non durables, Electronics, Transportation. Almost all of their market sectors have shown positive stock value trends...are you not seeing what I am alluding to?

A long position isnt going to make you money in 2022

Brenden_E

Executive Member
So has the DOW(closed off .6& lower or something yesterday), FTSE 500, S&P 500, NASDAQ, if you look at individual sectors in the US, consumer goods are up - both durable and non durables, Electronics, Transportation. Almost all of their market sectors have shown positive stock value trends...are you not seeing what I am alluding to?

A long position isnt going to make you money in 2022
The DOW was not up by 100% - the Tesla stock is shooting up to Mars (pun intended)

CT_Biker

Expert Member
The DOW was not up by 100% - the Tesla stock is shooting up to Mars (pun intended)

The FTSE 500 is up 86 points from March. An upward trend is an upward trend. Tesla may seem like a good buy, but again the surrounding markets are showing similar trends. Now bear in mind, I am not comparing one company to an entire share index, that would be a woeful mistake on my part.

However these share indexes are comprised of companies which each of the the above mentioned share indices monitor.

Futhering my point, Tesla, Apple and Amazon(AFAIR) are NASDAQ listed, the NAS is trading higher too, are you going to use 1 companies share price against an entire industry?

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
As per title.

The money will be used after 1 year, that's why there's such a short timeframe. Is it worth it to explore investment options in such a short timeframe or simply leave it in a savings account?

P.S Prefer options that will take the money offshore.

I have a bank account that you can use, and a beautiful document that proposes huge returns if you really have to read why you should just give it all to me. :ROFL:

Arthur

Honorary Master
Any Rand gains you make can easily be wiped out by the volatile ZAR.

Until you work out an investment plan why not park it in a CFC (foreign currency) account at your SA bank. Most major commercial banks offer a CFC account facility denominated in USD, Euro, and Sterling. If you have an active current account, several will allow you to apply online and have it active in a day or two. Then transfer your ZAR, or a goodly portion of it, to your CFC account. It's a trivially simple way of hedging for currency.

Spliffcat

Executive Member
OP be very aware of what banks promise and what you get.
If you do deicide to use a bank get everything written down and noted. BEFORE you move your cash.
They have a nasty habit of promising the earth. Then drop the interest rate.
Then want R30k to close the account when the interest drops.
Yes Standard bank did exactly this.