What would you do with 2 million that you can invest for 1 year?

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Tesla is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. Elon has sold an idea, not a product. Brilliant marketing though.

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
Talk to an experienced broker, let me know if you need a contact.
You won't get very good advice from lay people.
You need an experienced investor.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Tesla is a disaster waiting to happen IMO. Elon has sold an idea, not a product. Brilliant marketing though.
A bit off-topic, but Tesla sells the most electric cars in the world. These aren't just ideas but real products. In the future, all cars will be electric. He's the leader in where the industry is going.

He's revolutionized the car industry practically by himself, and he's about to do the same to road freight with his self-driving truck. People aren't throwing money at Tesla because of feels.

Lukcydog

Talk to an experienced broker, let me know if you need a contact.
You won't get very good advice from lay people.
You need an experienced investor.
What's your definition of an "experienced investor", or an "experienced broker"?

SoldierMan

Executive Member
A bit off-topic, but Tesla sells the most electric cars in the world. These aren't just ideas but real products. In the future, all cars will be electric. He's the leader in where the industry is going.

He's revolutionized the car industry practically by himself, and he's about to do the same to road freight with his self-driving truck. People aren't throwing money at Tesla because of feels.

See the bold bits. I understand why people are investing but he doesn't sell nearly as many cars as what other manufactures do yet his stock price is higher. I think many are investing because of feels, of what the future holds. I may be mistaken but on current sales Tesla shouldn't have such a high stock price.

Who knows maybe the current investors will turn out to be like those who got in early on Amazon or Facebook, time will tell I guess.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
See the bold bits. I understand why people are investing but he doesn't sell nearly as many cars as what other manufactures do yet his stock price is higher. I think many are investing because of feels, of what the future holds. I may be mistaken but on current sales Tesla shouldn't have such a high stock price.

Who knows maybe the current investors will turn out to be like those who got in early on Amazon or Facebook, time will tell I guess.
Tesla doesn't sell more cars because they cannot keep up with demand. People are lining up to buy, and lap them up the moment they are available. Elon is building more production capacity as fast as he can.

Tesla delivered 367,500 cars in 2019, 50% more than in 2018 and more than triple the number sold in 2017.

From this data, it's clear they are on the up and up. While other manufacturers currently sell more cars in total, none have managed to successfully get a 100% electric into the mass market. The most successful EV outside of Tesla is the Nissan Leaf, which only sold 400 000 units since 2010. This puts Tesla in an extremely favorable market position.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Tesla doesn't sell more cars because they cannot keep up with demand. People are lining up to buy, and lap them up the moment they are available. Elon is building more production capacity as fast as he can.

Tesla delivered 367,500 cars in 2019, 50% more than in 2018 and more than triple the number sold in 2017.

From this data, it's clear they are on the up and up. While other manufacturers currently sell more cars in total, none have managed to successfully get a 100% electric into the mass market. The most successful EV outside of Tesla is the Nissan Leaf, which only sold 400 000 units since 2010. This puts Tesla in an extremely favorable market position.

You do realise that there isn't enough electricity supply in the US (or South Africa or possibly any country) to supply electric cars if we were to do a swap over to electric. There is going to have to be a massive increase in electricity if this electric car thing is going to work. Otherwise there will be constant blackouts and people stuck at home and on the side of the road when we all try to charge our cars.

Sure the shift to electric will be gradual, but the question is will the electricity supply keep up with demand. It will have to otherwise oil will be around for sometime yet.

Brenden_E

Executive Member
You do realise that there isn't enough electricity supply in the US (or South Africa or possibly any country) to supply electric cars if we were to do a swap over to electric. There is going to have to be a massive increase in electricity if this electric car thing is going to work. Otherwise there will be constant blackouts and people stuck at home and on the side of the road when we all try to charge our cars.

Sure the shift to electric will be gradual, but the question is will the electricity supply keep up with demand. It will have to otherwise oil will be around for sometime yet.
Well not if they switched it off in 1 day, no. What kinda silly notion is that to even bring up? Even if they tried, wouldn't be possible because the world can't manufacture them that fast.

By the time electric cars are manufactured to overtake oil, there will be more than enough energy. The improvements in renewables these last few years alone have been incredible.

Anyway, I don't understand your rant. Yes, electrics won't take over 100% by tomorrow. But a company that is tripling or doubling it's sales every year in the segment of the future is worth way more than one making cars that will be absolute in a few years.

SoldierMan

Executive Member
Well not if they switched it off in 1 day, no. What kinda silly notion is that to even bring up? Even if they tried, wouldn't be possible because the world can't manufacture them that fast.

By the time electric cars are manufactured to overtake oil, there will be more than enough energy. The improvements in renewables these last few years alone have been incredible.

Anyway, I don't understand your rant. Yes, electrics won't take over 100% by tomorrow. But a company that is tripling or doubling it's sales every year in the segment of the future is worth way more than one making cars that will be absolute in a few years.

Rant? LOL How did you reach that conclusion. Just raising some valid points.

Quite a few countries (and companies) have said that they will ban fossil fuel cars in the near future, but I just don't see that happening. Putting the cart before the horse? Have they even taken the the energy needs of electric cars into consideration?

You say there will be more than enough energy by that time, how can you be sure? The trend is to do away with coal and even nuclear power and rely solely on renewables, that means ripping out the old and inserting the new, which will take even more time and even more infrastructure.

What about countries that don't have enough electricity for everyday use (let alone millions of electric cars) and probably never will, like South Africa and other African countries. We will be driving fossil fueled cars for some time yet. Doesn't mean the electric car market won't keep on growing but I think it will take a little longer than many greenies are proposing to reach a majority.

Will the world split into two markets, those who can afford a majority electric and those who still use fossil fuels relying on older vehicles. But then what about spare parts, etc. will the manufacturers still make them or will third party companies fill the gap.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master

and yet still does not turn a profit:

People aren't throwing money at Tesla because of feels no, they aren't throwing money at Tesla's products at all really. Plenty are speculating on Tesla shares however.

KleinBoontjie

Honorary Master
Well people is driving around in his ideas, cars, trucks, 18 wheelers, Suv's etc. and their using his battery walls and solar roof tiles etc. And his products, erm sorry, ideas as you put it, is working. And they're getting it better year on year, innovating and fine tuning. Don't know what you've seen or know, that would suggest that a disaster is imminent???

SoldierMan

Executive Member

People aren't throwing money at Tesla because of feels no, they aren't throwing money at Tesla's products at all really. Plenty are speculating on Tesla shares however.

Whoa didn't know that.... Guess they are hoping for big things in the future....

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Whoa didn't know that.... Guess they are hoping for big things in the future....
been like this for ages, since the company's inception basically, I don't think there is a goal of profit at all

just lots of bluster and inflated stock prices while the US government provides subsidies till kingdom come

Snyper564

Honorary Master
Well people is driving around in his ideas, cars, trucks, 18 wheelers, Suv's etc. and their using his battery walls and solar roof tiles etc. And his products, erm sorry, ideas as you put it, is working. And they're getting it better year on year, innovating and fine tuning. Don't know what you've seen or know, that would suggest that a disaster is imminent???
Agreed was in Hong Kong a few years back Tesla was everywhere

Brenden_E

Executive Member
Agreed was in Hong Kong a few years back Tesla was everywhere
Same here in Shanghai. People can sometimes get lost in their own bubble. I read something like Norway has more EV's than petrol cars.

South Africa is properly a stone-age country in this regard.

rietrot

Honorary Master

Tesla is all just FOMO and hype.

A PE of over a 1000 is just stupid. They sell cars. Thats not infinitely scalable. It is à classic example of a bubble.

However I won't bet against it as long as the fed is still printing money or the trend holds. Who knows how ridiculous it will get.

rietrot

Honorary Master
been like this for ages, since the company's inception basically, I don't think there is a goal of profit at all

just lots of bluster and inflated stock prices while the US government provides subsidies till kingdom come
The goal is max growth.
Growth is a strategy on its own. The don't make profit because theoretically everything and some more goes back into the business to grow faster. If they stop the growth at the current level and don't invert 300% of the money they don't make they should arguably be profitable.

Same with Amazon for example.

Ishould_BeWorking

I would just park it off n preserve the capital, we live in such a volatile world atm...half a loaf is better than none?