What would you do with 2 million that you can invest for 1 year?

surface

Honorary Master
Cygnia FAANG, 4th Industrial revolution. If the bubble bursts, everything will be hit, nothing will be safe. Check out the Cygnia boss lady on twitter, she is nailing the competition.
have done FAANG as a monthly DO but I feel uneasy about this one despite its composition of top 5.

surface

Honorary Master
Buy a nice freestanding house. Rent out my apartment. It's what makes the most sense for me since that is the next big financial commitment I wish to make, and the savings in bond interest is as good as an investment. Apart from the rental income from my apartment, and the hopefully inevitable increase in value from the new property.

I'd say that would equate to an effective 10-20%pa return for a long time.
Personal experience, you will not get more than 8%pa and that too if you are really really lucky.

The Trutherizer

Executive Member
Personal experience, you will not get more than 8%pa and that too if you are really really lucky.
For me it is more due to how much I can save by being able to buy a house cash. Prime is low right now, but you'll still end up paying about double the value of your home if you go for a bond over 20 years. That matters in this equation. If I were to get the bond AND use the 2 million to invest in something great that can give 10%+ returns with low risk, then I'd still be effectively netting savings account-like returns all things said and done.
Far better to start square and then just rent out my apartment. Although I'll be the first to say that things leaning towards rather selling the apartment with new sectional title laws just around the corner. It's already a story to buy to rent as an investment. So the point might be moot.

Pixies

Honorary Master
As per title.

The money will be used after 1 year, that's why there's such a short timeframe. Is it worth it to explore investment options in such a short timeframe or simply leave it in a savings account?

P.S Prefer options that will take the money offshore.
Give me