What would you do with SAA if you were President?

What do you think the government should do with SAA?

• Close it down

Votes: 54 15.4%
  • Sell it to a private company and cut your losses

Votes: 259 74.0%
  • Close SAA and let it emerge as a new government owned airline

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Save SAA through government funding

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Other (let us know what your plan is)

Votes: 19 5.4%

• Total voters

LPJ

Whatever solution that is proposed for SAA, it has to be made under the assumption that completely corrupt people will implement it.
So closing it down and liquidating it is an option.
Selling it to a private company will result in it being sold for a fraction of what it is worth.
Closing SAA and re-opening it as Dodo airlines is going to be rife for corruption.
Ditto for simply keeping it alive.

Best option would be to declare it a "people's airline" and divide its ownership into about 31 million shares, which is the amount of adult citizens in he country. Every citizen gets a share. The shares are then listed on the JSE, with some minimum price attached to that share's first trade that is based on a fair value of SAA.

(Although there is a massive problem as SAA wouldn't be allowed to register on the JSE, so they would have to make a special exchange for bankrupt SOEs until they reach the requirements to list on the JSE.)

Amostonia

What do you think the government should do with SAA?
[/QQo
I believe if the SAA can be hired to a certain private company instead of being sold because SAA must be one of a way that make money for the government

LPJ

These are thoughts too!!

Whatever solution that is proposed for SAA, it has to be made under the assumption that completely corrupt people will implement it.
So closing it down and liquidating it is an option.
Selling it to a private company will result in it being sold for a fraction of what it is worth.
Closing SAA and re-opening it as Dodo airlines is going to be rife for corruption.
Ditto for simply keeping it alive.

Best option would be to declare it a "people's airline" and divide its ownership into about 31 million shares, which is the amount of adult citizens in he country. Every citizen gets a share. The shares are then listed on the JSE, with some minimum price attached to that share's first trade that is based on a fair value of SAA.

(Although there is a massive problem as SAA wouldn't be allowed to register on the JSE, so they would have to make a special exchange for bankrupt SOEs until they reach the requirements to list on the JSE.)

randomcat

Expert Member
I'm the president, a company is not suppose to concern me. It has a CEO, I focus on running the government.

BigL

The hard fact is that SAA will continue to be bailed out until the last "Old white employee" retires.
Whilst the sunset clauses are in place, SAA shall continue to be a burden on taxpayers.
CODESA did not only sellout citizens of African origin, but it also brought about economic implications for everyone including citizens of Caucasian, Asian, and mixed-race origin. This is the case with most or all SOEs.

Fordson

I actually believes the government should pay someone to take over SAA. I don't think its sellable.

Stylo

I agree with 3WA, get my share, its the African Renaissance way. Maybe also hire extremely sexy flight attendants because, you know, sex sells

DIY

Why hang onto a relic from the past. Pull it down, change the name. Why has it taken so long for the government and its supporters to register that SAA is from the OLD DAYS and they have done nothing but support it by funding it with nouveau riches tax rands from tender fraud. Maybe it's because the ministers can fly around the country with their family free if no one notices. tHe ANC are such hypocrites when it suites them. The former chair person and her ilk were on a gravy train, and if we keep it afloat the same will happen again. The Business Rescue is just another waste of tax payers money. Ask Pravin Gordon why he was so upset a month ago.

thestaggy

Honorary Master
Sell what you can and the cut your losses.

We don't need a state-owned flag carrier. If Australia, Canada, Germany and Japan can do without one, so can we.

Last edited:

Lance.Kotze

SAA is worth saving, but not by the Government nor any corrupt ally they may have. Let a private entity pick it up for a bargain and make some money for themselves. If an opportunity for a share in the new company emerges, I'm sure it will be worth the risk buying some.

falcon786

Honorary Master
Why only extreme black or extreme white choices(what about the grey choice in between?)

Basically I'd let it be half private owned and half government,that way there's oversight for corruption from the private sector as they'd look after their moeny while at the same time government can control price gouging nad other negative behaviour from the capitalists.

It's a win win in my opinion.A competitive yet efficient company that doesn't rip the people off.

konfab

Honorary Master
Why only extreme black or extreme white choices(what about the grey choice in between?)

Basically I'd let it be half private owned and half government,that way there's oversight for corruption from the private sector as they'd look after their moeny while at the same time government can control price gouging nad other negative behaviour from the capitalists.

It's a win win in my opinion.A competitive yet efficient company that doesn't rip the people off.

You literally contradicted yourself.
Being in control of the money means being able to set the prices of your product.

How your grand scheme would work in practice:
Government tells SAA that they cannot increase the prices. Evil capitalists will then say that they cannot justify their investment for the lack of profit that the government wants. Evil capitalists then sell all their shares, only people who will buy them will be those who are connected to the government. Market value of company drops quicker than an 8 year old drinking tequila. With no market value, and not being able to make any money, SAA will not be able to access capital. Government steps in and takes over management of the airline and starts bailing it out. Congratulations, you have returned to the starting point of a bankrupt state owned airline.

And besides, if you look at the recklessness of how SAA was run, they don't need anyone from government within 200m of their management.
Read the judgement when they declared Dudu Myeni a delinquent director. She had full support from the government in her actions.
https://mg.co.za/business/2020-05-27-high-court-declares-dudu-myeni-delinquent/

falcon786

Honorary Master
You literally contradicted yourself.
Being in control of the money means being able to set the prices of your product.

How your grand scheme would work in practice:
Government tells SAA that they cannot increase the prices. Evil capitalists will then say that they cannot justify their investment for the lack of profit that the government wants. Evil capitalists then sell all their shares, only people who will buy them will be those who are connected to the government. Market value of company drops quicker than an 8 year old drinking tequila. With no market value, and not being able to make any money, SAA will not be able to access capital. Government steps in and takes over management of the airline and starts bailing it out. Congratulations, you have returned to the starting point of a bankrupt state owned airline.

And besides, if you look at the recklessness of how SAA was run, they don't need anyone from government within 200m of their management.
Read the judgement when they declared Dudu Myeni a delinquent director. She had full support from the government in her actions.
https://mg.co.za/business/2020-05-27-high-court-declares-dudu-myeni-delinquent/

Ok so give private company 51 percent stake...

Gbdfinesse

Public trade SAA shares ,Negotiate with reserve bank to sell bonds and print more money to buy it back and let it ride with technical and Fundemantal analysis ,retail investors and traders will scale the volume to escalate and appreciate in value

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Save SAA through government funding and embezzle something for myself.