What would you do with SAA if you were President?

What do you think the government should do with SAA?

• Close it down

Votes: 54 15.4%
  • Sell it to a private company and cut your losses

Votes: 259 74.0%
  • Close SAA and let it emerge as a new government owned airline

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Save SAA through government funding

Votes: 10 2.9%
  • Other (let us know what your plan is)

Votes: 19 5.4%

• Total voters

Ace@30066

kick out the board members of SAA and the staff and hire new board and staff and that's the only way to get rid of corruption in the SAA.

What do you think the government should do with SAA?
There is no need for any state-owned airline anywhere. If people want to travel by air the demand will create the supply. For example BA is not British-government owned.

Gandalf123

Other (Manage it properly).

1. Investigate and weed out corrupt people.

2. Implement more retrenchments. Anybody suspected of being corrupt will be first on the list. Those who do nothing all day can go too. Keep the pilots, cabin crew and maintenance crew on. They are the ones bringing the money in.

3. This is the biggest priority. Fleet Management: Use an appropriate size aircraft for the number of passengers that are going to travel. There is absolutely no point in using an A340 to carry only 30 passengers on a long haul flight (Been there, seen it). You need the aircraft to be at least 80% full in order to make a profit. If that means a refueling stop, so be it. Add the stopover country to the rout and fly passengers to and from there as well.

I would never have closed a rout. I may have reduced flights to certain not so profitable destinations but that is all. I think that is the biggest mistake the business rescuers made. Putting people in charge who know absolutely nothing airline operations was a huge mistake. They are driving SAA into the ground.

Cutadash

unless wholesale corruption is stamped out there is absolutely no chance of South Africa ever getting out of this dire situation that we are in the government is not interested in their fellow man they’re only interested in lining their own pockets & to hell with everything else when are the voters in this country going to wake up

neoprema

Executive Member
Government should run the country, not own businesses. SAA can exist, but it should do so as an entirely private entity. Government should focus on serving the people and ensuring infrastructure and safety.

WalkWithMe

It is a big catch - the guarantees the government would need to pay on liquidation is way more than a bailout that would need to pay in one shot.

NuttyNige

Completely "can" it, this Government will NEVER be able to run a successful organisation, let alone an Airline company...

wombling

SAA has many problems ranging from a bloated workforce to corruption to massive debts. If this was a private airline it would have been involuntarily liquidated and shut down long ago. The amount of problems it has does not have a single silver bullet to fix it. Replacing all the staff with a competent streamlined workforce is only 1 thing needed that unions would never allow. This still does not fix the huge debt problems and does not make the airline profitable overnight. Instead of trying to polish a turd, it should be ditched as fast as possible.

The South African government has no place running an airline when it fails to run a country. So many South Africans would be a lot better off if the close to R40 billion in bailouts had been used on infrastructure, education, health and aiding the poor communities.

So far all I have learned is that the politicians are only driven by personal gain and ensuring that they remain popular. Very few seek to improve the country and this is evidenced by our circus of a parliament.

Gandalf123

SAA has many problems ranging from a bloated workforce to corruption to massive debts. If this was a private airline it would have been involuntarily liquidated and shut down long ago. The amount of problems it has does not have a single silver bullet to fix it. Replacing all the staff with a competent streamlined workforce is only 1 thing needed that unions would never allow. This still does not fix the huge debt problems and does not make the airline profitable overnight. Instead of trying to polish a turd, it should be ditched as fast as possible.

The South African government has no place running an airline when it fails to run a country. So many South Africans would be a lot better off if the close to R40 billion in bailouts had been used on infrastructure, education, health and aiding the poor communities.

So far all I have learned is that the politicians are only driven by personal gain and ensuring that they remain popular. Very few seek to improve the country and this is evidenced by our circus of a parliament.

Phuck the unions! They are the primary source of our problems in this country. If I was the president of SA, I would have abolished them long ago. But assuming I was the CEO of SAA, I would have told the unions to keep their noses out. If your people strike, we will retrench them. It saddens me every time I see a strike where the employees of an already cash strapped demand salary increases. The people dancing in the streets for increases should all be fired. Their loyalty doesn't lie with the company. They are only loyal to them selves. Get rid of them.

Last edited:

Esbendzn

I would NOT sell it to an entrepeneur/predator, but have govt employ a competent team to run it
Government isn't competent in the first place, so how are they going to find anyone?

kolaval

Executive Member
I'll give it more money...and make sure the CEO knows where to spend my cut on consulting fees

kolaval

Executive Member
I would NOT sell it to an entrepeneur/predator, but have govt employ a competent team to run it
An employee running a business it is called an entrepreneur. And if they're competent they'll be a successful entrepreneur.

rietrot

Honorary Master
There's nothing really left.

Have a auction. Sell everything.

skeptic_SA

Executive Member
Gift it to the people of Orania. Give them a year and no political interfaces. Watch out Qatar Airways.

RVQ

Expert Member
As with all SOEs, SA GOV should sell majority stake so they can be run by private companies. Setup a sovereign fund with the profits that buys minority stake across various assets and use it to fund government to lesson the tax burden on citizens. SA GOV can then focus on running government and its departments.

Thor

Honorary Master
Sell it to the private sector on the condition GOv retain 10% shareholding.

GrootP

Give it to someone that you really don't like, maybe the Z klan ?