• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

What would you do?

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
Right so For the past month I have been working in Jhb and it seems I might stay working there for some time.

I live in Pretoria and the journey starts at 05:10am end I leave Jhb at 15:25pm. It's a 58Km trip one way and 116Km per day.

I currently drive a 2010 Hardbody 2.4 Petrol D/c which it giving me 8.25Km per litre - yip eina.
The Hardbody is in pristine condition and has 103 000Km on but it's thirsty as hell.

The monthly cost in petrol is about R3500. And I do need a bakkie for my weekend trip to the Monkey Rescue Center.

I'm contemplating either getting a small car like the Picanto or Ignis etc for the daily trip or trading the Hardbody in on a 2.2 D/C Ranger but I know they will screw me for the trade-in and give me +-R85K for the HB which is worth alot more.

So chaps what would you do?

Right so For the past month I have been working in Jhb and it seems I might stay working there for some time.

I live in Pretoria and the journey starts at 05:10am end I leave Jhb at 15:25pm. It's a 58Km trip one way and 116Km per day.

I currently drive a 2010 Hardbody 2.4 Petrol D/c which it giving me 8.25Km per litre - yip eina.
The Hardbody is in pristine condition and has 103 000Km on but it's thirsty as hell.

The monthly cost in petrol is about R3500. And I do need a bakkie for my weekend trip to the Monkey Rescue Center.

I'm contemplating either getting a small car like the Picanto or Ignis etc for the daily trip or trading the Hardbody in on a 2.2 D/C Ranger but I know they will screw me for the trade-in and give me +-R85K for the HB which is worth alot more.

Buy a BMW GS motorbike + full body raincoat. Research it.

Less fuel.
Quicker to and from work.
Better quality of life.
Also nice for weekend roadtrip to clear the mind.

Do the math. If you buy a smaller car the monthly finance cost + fuel will be quite a bit more

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
please tell or share more about your monkey centre
It's a registered non profit center which rescues monkeys from all over even overseas and Africa. They save unwanted or harmed monkeys and also from labs etc.

I had two marmosets one passed away and we took the female there and she is extremely happy. I am however still very very sad at the loss of my buddy.

Every Saturday I take a bakkie load of fruit and veg for the center and help with advice and other stuff.

It's taught me a great deal and I have learnt monkeys must be in trees not on shoulders etc. They struggle a bit in some months and hence my helping out.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Something like my 1.4 Figo will probably cost you R2000pm in fuel to work and back, given that you drive when traffic is free flowing. But then one has so include insurance and such...

purpleheart

Expert Member

What about something in-between like a VW Caddy or a SUV?

WireFree

Get a small car (even second hand will do) and park it at the Gautrain station in Joburg. Travel from Pretoria to Joburg by Gautrain and use your small car in Joburg.

saturnz

Honorary Master
Thanks, but also not an option, I am a Pretorianer and don't particularly like Jhb (as yet). I own my house and to sell and buy will out-way the 2-3 year costs.
moving does not mean you must sell your house and buy another one

MightyQuin

Executive Member
Get a small car (even second hand will do) and park it at the Gautrain station in Joburg. Travel from Pretoria to Joburg by Gautrain and use your small car in Joburg.
moving does not mean you must sell your house and buy another one
I really don't understand this? You guys want to create R7k to R10k a month problems to alleviate a R3k a month problem?