What you can buy on Takealot during the lockdown

Hanno Labuschagne

Journalist
Staff member
What you can buy on Takealot during the lockdown

South Africans can buy and have various essential products delivered from Takealot during the COVID-19 lockdown period.

From the evening of 30 March, Takealot reopened its online store with a focus on the sale and delivery of essential goods – as prescribed by the South African government.

This followed Takealot temporarily disabling payment methods on its site while the lockdown regulations were finalised.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
How did they come to the conclusion that Xbox Gold subs and DSTV decoders were essential?

Wootware opened up their inventory and said that they are permitted in doing so.

DSTV decoders can be are argued in line with communications, and Xbox Gold subs are digital.

Nephew_

How did they come to the conclusion that Xbox Gold subs and DSTV decoders were essential?
Yes, this is a ridiculous joke. What about you working from home and a hard disk or screen or computer break? To me that is more essential to have your computer running.

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
Yes, this is a ridiculous joke. What about you working from home and a hard disk or screen or computer break? To me that is more essential to have your computer running.

You need to organise that through your essential employer who may have access to essentials to ensure business continuity.

MirageF1

Executive Member
Pffft, in other words eff all ( unless you have a newborn who needs nappies to sh*t in)

gimpex

So I can’t buy a grater which one uses for cooking ( even though it says kitchen items allowed ) but I can buy DSTV . Yep , makes sense ....

ThinkCentre

Expert Member
DStv and digital products
Does that include TVs, HiFis and sound systems? Or just DSTV? Starsat and Openview? Are they deliberately excluded? Just asking?

Sapphiron

Centadel
Company Rep
The issue is likely that they are still scrambling with their suppliers to update the lists.

wizardofid

Executive Member
Thank you for your patience while you waited for an update on your Takealot order XXXXXX.

We have reached out to the Government to confirm whether we are allowed to continue delivery of orders placed before the national lockdown that contain products that have not been classified as essential in the Regulations.

We have unfortunately not received an update from them yet and are operationally unable to differentiate between orders placed before the lockdown that contain essential and non-essential items. For this reason, your order remains rescheduled for delivery until after the lockdown.

We are truly sorry for any inconvenience and frustration caused, as we know this delay no doubt affects you. We are continuing to press the Government for clearer directions on this matter and will update you as soon as we receive any further updates.

Should you prefer a credit or refund to your original payment method, please log a request here and one of our shopping assistants will get back to you within 72 hours.

We kindly ask for your understanding and patience during this unprecedented time.

Regards,
Takealot.com

kolaval

Executive Member
So can I order some printer ink from there or not?
How do you know if it is essential, or is everything available now essential?