What you can't buy without a TV Licence

Corelli

Expert Member
Why cant Samsung and Hisense just launch units without an Analogue receiver. They would do the entire SA republic a favour. Maybe make it from 65 inch and up wont have built in analogue receivers. Just imagine how the SA public would flock to buy those units.

Benedict A55h0le

Expert Member
you know whats funny?
you never see a black hand holding in the sabc licence adverts
LOL
New SABC TV licence fees for Netflix – Have your say
They conveniently left out the part about whether this difference will be positive or negative.

"Pay yours. Make a difference." (<---- negative)

The Light Green Hornet

Great, now I need a license for my hair.

So basically if you have e a TV you must pay for a TV license.

Problem is they do not have the will to collect from those who watch SABC, because it is free.

End of the day, they can slice and dice it any way they want. They are still not going to collect TV license fees from those people. The only ones they are going to get license fees from, are those currently paying, plus a few 1000, they get extra into their net, minus the money, they have spent dreaming up this scheme. So their 2 billion extra, is still a pipe dream.

Not to mention the 200000 odd tax payers who leave the country each year.
I'm sure there are that many dishes next to the R21 and the N4.

Johnvgb

Broadcast Television is a dying technology in SA (even though millions still watch it, and even though it can still be viable with the right approach).
With Internet Connections becoming ubiquitous most people have moved on to consuming other forms of content and media.
The SA government needs to rethink it's entire model here because it's clear that tax payers have already embarked on a tax boycott of the TV Licence model.
The tax payer doesn't see any value or return of service in that model, so he will not longer pay for it.
Therein lies the problem, the millions who watch SABC are poor, indigent etc. They don't have money, they don't pay TV licenses, they never will.

AstroTurf

Lucky Shot
Why cant Samsung and Hisense just launch units without an Analogue receiver. They would do the entire SA republic a favour. Maybe make it from 65 inch and up wont have built in analogue receivers. Just imagine how the SA public would flock to buy those units.
What's the point, seems sabc want to tax the internet and satellites?

chromedome

Expert Member
Slight necro alert... Does anyone actually have a physical tv licence? I remember having one years ago, but these days you just enter your ID number to pay. Am I correct in assuming that your ID number would suffice if required to produce a licence?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Slight necro alert... Does anyone actually have a physical tv licence? I remember having one years ago, but these days you just enter your ID number to pay. Am I correct in assuming that your ID number would suffice if required to produce a licence?
Doubt it. Probably need to print out the paper.

elf_lord_ZC5

Executive Member

Mostly yes, when you buy a TV, they ask the TV lisence holders ID, phone where ever they phone to check if that ID has a valid TV lisence, and off you go.

chromedome

Expert Member
Doubt it. Probably need to print out the paper.
I obviously have the proof of payment but that's it.
Mostly yes, when you buy a TV, they ask the TV lisence holders ID, phone where ever they phone to check if that ID has a valid TV lisence, and off you go.
Ok,that's what I thought, my TV is getting a bit long in the tooth so I need to do some shopping for a new one soon.