whats a good AP , with external antenna and MAC filtering?

bboy

Expert Member
At my duplex there are 24 residents, some of us want to setup a wireless network, I'm wondering what a decent Access Point is?
I need one that has MAC Address filtering,
The abilitly to add an external antenna,
not much else really
G speed,

and relatively cheap!

anyone know?

daffy

Expert Member
The Linksys WRT54G is the most feature packed AP available on a budget.
I sell them for R650.
If you're not scared to delve into Linux, I can upload OpenWRT (www.openwrt.org) to it and it'll give you all the security features you can dream of.

daffy

Expert Member
Yeah, the standard firmware isn't very nice.
www.sveasoft.com makes a much better firmware, with a nice web frontend for configuration.
www.openwrt.org is an opensource firmware. Its linux, you use the command line to configure it.

I'm running 6 of these things with OpenWRT, and they're by far the most feature enabled budget AP's around...
(Its a router, so you can plug your ADSL modem into it and share your connection too!)

Setsquare

Just got back from USA....

Got my WRT54G for R360 over there :p

The Sveasoft firmware packs on the features but u dont get as good speeds on the wifi link with it.

daffy

Expert Member
The Sveasoft firmware is nice... but its too userfriendly.
If you're wanting better throughput, turn the output power down to 80mW (because I just KNOW you've got it running at something crazy :p)

Using OpenWRT, you get more control, but you dont get a pretty web-based config tool.

I've worked with alot of low-cost Wireless AP's in my time, and the Linksys WRT54G is absoultely the best sub-R2000 AP around. (and thats quite a statement, 'cause they go for around R650)

nicroets

Can it bridge ?

Can it be a client to another nearby AP while still being an AP itself ?

If no, what device do you suggest I use to connect to the existing AP ?

On this subject : For just over R2k, you can build a pretty mean WLAN AP :
Buy a diskless entrylevel PC, boot Linux from flash. Then you can place a cheap WLAN card in each PCI slot and really cover the whole spectrum.

And if you're like me with an old PC lying around, it will cost a lot less than R2k.

Does anyone on the forum sell cheap WLAN cards supported by Linux ? And that can be put in AP mode ?

daffy

Expert Member
The Linksys WRT54G will still work out cheaper :)

But I do sell Atheros 5212 based Mini-PCI Cards, and a PCI to Mini-PCI convertor.
With a pigtail, this comes to just over R900.
These work great with MadWifi drivers in linux, and they work brilliantly in FreeBSD.

Take a look at MikroTik (www.mikrotik.com) and RouterBoard (www.routerboard.com).
Take a RouterBoard 230, with a 4-1 Mini-PCI Convertor, and stick 4x802.11a/b/g (2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz) Mini-PCI Cards in it, and you have yourself a really mean repeater site.
We sell these too!

www.dbg.co.za for all the contact info.

Setsquare

Daffy I am using the default of 28mw.......... wouldnt want to go over 56mw as they say your radio will end up burning out.