Whats App - great for IM between iPhone and Blackberry

HPFM

For all those iPhone users whom need to IM chat with their Blackberry friends, Whats APP allows IM across the 2 phones and will also soon be available for Nokia (Symbian) and Android based phones.

iPhone users either in the app store or for both iPhone and BB users get it here http://www.whatsapp.com/

Really cool app, and if using iPhone to iPhone allows you to share, photo's, video and map location on Google maps

rapidblue

Expert Member
I use this for iPhone to iPhone chat with family and friends abroad. It's sooooooo awesome!!!! Wasn't too impressed with the BlackBerry version though - think they need to polish it a bit.

rapidblue

Expert Member
Because a "normal" IM client requires you to log in / log out. Messaging apps like WhatsApp do not require you to log in - you are always on (like SMS). Imagine you had to log in / log out of SMS - that would suck!!

oronte

Expert Member
Google Talk seems like a better option. And on Blackberry we don't have to log into our IM clients (ever), you have the option of letting the IM client auto login as long as your phone is on.

rapidblue

Expert Member
No official Gtalk app for the iPhone. You can use other apps for Gtalk like IM+ Beejive etc. etc. but they will all only keep you logged in for up to 7 days. And there is a chance you can get logged out.
That is why an app like WhatsApp is so awesome. It's like BB Messenger on an iPhone :)

rapidblue

Expert Member
Google Talk seems like a better option. And on Blackberry we don't have to log into our IM clients (ever), you have the option of letting the IM client auto login as long as your phone is on.
True, but honestly, which BB users use something like GTalk or Live Messenger to chat to each other? That's just silly. They use BB Messenger to chat to each other. Same on an iPhone - normal messengers are there to "mainly" chat to ppl on computers whilst something like WhatsApp is there to chat to other iPhone users :)

limnos

Expert Member
I hate this application, and everyone tells me to install it! It's useless and always disconnects. I use BeeJive with GoogleTalk account and have convinced all my necessary friends to use the same method of IM - and it all works flawlessly.

limnos

Expert Member
True, but honestly, which BB users use something like GTalk or Live Messenger to chat to each other? That's just silly. )
I have a quite a few friends that use GTalk on their BB to communicate with their iPhone buddies..

rapidblue

Expert Member
I hate this application, and everyone tells me to install it! It's useless and always disconnects. I use BeeJive with GoogleTalk account and have convinced all my necessary friends to use the same method of IM - and it all works flawlessly.
Not sure how your WhatsApp can "disconnect". There is no disconnect option. It's like saying BB Messenger disconnects??

rapidblue

Expert Member
I have a quite a few friends that use GTalk on their BB to communicate with their iPhone buddies..
True, but read my post properly. Would one BB user use GTalk to chat to another BB user?? In most cases no - they would use BB Messenger amongst themselves.
Same with WhatsApp - best used amongst iPhone users...

limnos

Expert Member
Not sure how your WhatsApp can "disconnect". There is no disconnect option. It's like saying BB Messenger disconnects??
My Push Notification don't always come through, or are very delayed that's what I meant to say.

limnos

Expert Member
Anyhow! I strongly believe that OS 4 will include (after seeing the iChatAgent processor running) it's own version of iChat - allowing all iPhone users to chat within the OS itself..... Let's just all hope it does include such a service..

rapidblue

Expert Member
My Push Notification don't always come through, or are very delayed that's what I meant to say.
Oh, that makes sense. Weird though. Are you push notifications inconsistent amongst all your apps or just with WhatsApp? I haven't had any problems with my push notifications or WhatsApp, but then I must admit that the 3G tower at my house is the most stable 3G tower I have ever come across :)

rapidblue

Expert Member
Anyhow! I strongly believe that OS 4 will include (after seeing the iChatAgent processor running) it's own version of iChat - allowing all iPhone users to chat within the OS itself..... Let's just all hope it does include such a service..
I'm really hoping it does :D