What's happening at WebAfrica?

Samildanach

Can anybody assist me with some more knowledge of how their fibre (and other) experiences is with WebAfrica. Our area (amanzimtoti) is getting fibre and WebAfrica has an amazing deal (200/200 for R829.00). I immediately jumped on the offer and pre-ordered (this was around the middle of August. I know my area is only going 'live' in December or early January as I am led to believe by Mitsol, the company laying the fibre.

I got an email from Webafrica stating the fibre is not yet ready in the area because Mitsol cannot action my fibre request and that I must re-activate the order when the area has progressed. Fine and dandy. Then in October my bum got a itch after seeing Mitsol digging trenches and laying fibre in the area. I contacted Mitsol and told them that Webafrica claimed the installation and everything is on hold. Mitsol said that there is no such thing and they have not received anything from Webafrica for my address. I contacted Webafrica back and told them what Mitsol said, day after I get a mail from Webafrica saying that my fibre order has been placed. Ok, all fine and dandy.

Then two days ago I thought let me just sus everything out. I forwarded the mail WebAfrica sent me on the 21st of October to Mitsol and asked them to confirm that WebAfrica did indeed book the order as I would like to go live when my area goes live and not have to wait until long after to climb onto the fibre highway. Mitsol came back and said that they have no record of my order through Webafrica and that they will follow up with WebAfrica.

So, now my interest was piqued. I went to hellopeter and lo and behold there seems to be numerous complaints regarding WebAfrica's service, from installations to billing. So, does anybody have tales of woe, issues or compliments about WebAfrica? Needless to say I refer anybody in the area I can to WebAfrica because of their good deals on Mitsol but I am now also worried that it will come back to bite me.

Sopbeen

Needless to say I refer anybody in the area I can to WebAfrica because of their good deals on Mitsol but I am now also worried that it will come back to bite me.
lol You dun and goofed up. Search for WA threads on myadsl. It's not a pretty picture.

How can you recommend a service to someone without having any experience with it at all? But don't worry you are getting a taste of what its like to be a WA subscriber anyway.

blunt

Expert Member
A friend of mine has been on WA for a good couple of years (Frogfoot 100mb) and doesn't have any issue with WA. He's not a gamer and doesn't sit and analyse speedtests and ping times but streams and his kids use YouTube and all that and don't have any complaints. So I guess it depends how pedantic you're going to be..

Sopbeen

A friend of mine has been on WA for a good couple of years (Frogfoot 100mb) and doesn't have any issue with WA. He's not a gamer and doesn't sit and analyse speedtests and ping times but streams and his kids use YouTube and all that and don't have any complaints. So I guess it depends how pedantic you're going to be..
A single second hand account of someone that doesn't seem to use his connection to earn money.

Do yourself a favor and have a browse on the first few pages of this sub forum. You'll find quite a few WA related complaints with very little being done to address them.

But maybe I am being pedantic, expecting a ISP to actually deliver a service that I pay for.

blunt

Expert Member
A single second hand account of someone that doesn't seem to use his connection to earn money.

Do yourself a favor and have a browse on the first few pages of this sub forum. You'll find quite a few WA related complaints with very little being done to address them.

But maybe I am being pedantic, expecting a ISP to actually deliver a service that I pay for.
Relax buddy not a personal attack just offering another perspective. His day job does require an internet connection as he works from home - he's moving house and getting a new fibre connection and actually chose to stick with WA.

Last edited:

JohnStarr

Executive Member
Can anybody assist me with some more knowledge of how their fibre (and other) experiences is with WebAfrica. Our area (amanzimtoti) is getting fibre and WebAfrica has an amazing deal (200/200 for R829.00). I immediately jumped on the offer and pre-ordered (this was around the middle of August. I know my area is only going 'live' in December or early January as I am led to believe by Mitsol, the company laying the fibre.

I got an email from Webafrica stating the fibre is not yet ready in the area because Mitsol cannot action my fibre request and that I must re-activate the order when the area has progressed. Fine and dandy. Then in October my bum got a itch after seeing Mitsol digging trenches and laying fibre in the area. I contacted Mitsol and told them that Webafrica claimed the installation and everything is on hold. Mitsol said that there is no such thing and they have not received anything from Webafrica for my address. I contacted Webafrica back and told them what Mitsol said, day after I get a mail from Webafrica saying that my fibre order has been placed. Ok, all fine and dandy.

Then two days ago I thought let me just sus everything out. I forwarded the mail WebAfrica sent me on the 21st of October to Mitsol and asked them to confirm that WebAfrica did indeed book the order as I would like to go live when my area goes live and not have to wait until long after to climb onto the fibre highway. Mitsol came back and said that they have no record of my order through Webafrica and that they will follow up with WebAfrica.

So, now my interest was piqued. I went to hellopeter and lo and behold there seems to be numerous complaints regarding WebAfrica's service, from installations to billing. So, does anybody have tales of woe, issues or compliments about WebAfrica? Needless to say I refer anybody in the area I can to WebAfrica because of their good deals on Mitsol but I am now also worried that it will come back to bite me.
They did something similar with my fibre order. I went with Vox instead. Unfortunately on Frogfoot which goes down a lot!

Jimmy

Crap... I should've done my research before going with Web Africa. Is there a way to cancel before they come and install the Fibre?

Impala

Crap... I should've done my research before going with Web Africa. Is there a way to cancel before they come and install the Fibre?
Depending on when you finished your order you will have a 7 business day cooling-off period (from the date when you entered into the agreement) to cancel the agreement without any cost.
EDIT:
If the fibre is already installed by the FNO you will most likely have to pay for the installation and if they already delivered the router you will also have to return it (your own cost unless WA agreed otherwise)