What's some of the best Anime you've watched and why? - Looking for recommendations

Supersoaker

Expert Member
So I just finished Dragon Ball Super and while it did take me back to my childhood days of Dragon Ball Z (shout out to SABC 2) I was disappointed from episode 100 yes that includes the final fight vs Jiren,

I've watched some of the mainstream Tokyo ghoul, Full Metal Alchemist, FLCL, Food Wars!, Black Bullet, Hunter X Hunter, Naruto and One Punch Man but I think what I'm seeking is a more mature scene than what shonen has to offer me.

I've been told by several people to check out One Piece but after Naruto I don't think my brain will be able to handle over 900 episodes unless I stick to the canon episodes.

I'm keen to hear what you've guys have seen and why you enjoyed it.

Personally I really enjoyed Tokyo Ghoul the first season specifically because of how raw the anime is, no really the creators aren't shy at all. :ROFL:

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Hmmm,

Chrono Crusade
Last Exile
Ghost in the shell:Stand Alone Complex
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Eureka 7 and Eureka AO
Hellsing OVA
Tenchi Muyo
Space Brothers

There's also the mainstream Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.

RyanRED

Goblin Slayer - Nice Story, a bit gory
Black Clover - elements of fairy tail, Naruto.. etc
Darwin’s Game - great action, suspense

Overlord, Demon Slayer, Elfen Lied...

BackStabbath

Give the studio ghibili movies a go they have just released a few titles on Netflix this month just search the name Studio Ghibili in the search bar.

Try watching Howls moving castle, Spirited Away, Luputa castle in the sky and Princess Mononoke. Why you ask its the realism of the characters and the amazing musical scores.

Studio Ghibli relies heavily on hand-drawn animation. Although the studio uses some CGI technology, it only ever accounts for 10% of the final version of the film.
Spirited Away was the highest grossing film in Japanese cinema history until 2016. In 2016, Your Name, another Japanese animated film, beat Spirited Away’s record. However, Spirited Away is still the only non-English-language film to win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars.

1587070280000.jpeg

Last edited:

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I am pretty much 99% mecha. Started all the way back with the Robotech.

However, there are exceptions like other cyberpunk, SF and detective series, and I like the odd unrelated technomancer and monster genres. Mentioning monster, I really liked Monster,

Gallderhen

Its old, but I very much like Cowboy Bebop. The ending could be a bit morbid to some people.

Another one thats got a better ending is Samurai Champloo.

-G-

Pho3nix

The Legend
One Piece
Demon Swordsman ~ forgot the anime babe but google Tanjiro and Nezuko

kolaval

Executive Member
Samurai champloo
Trigun
Cowboy bebop.

Shigurui: Death Frenzy( nsfw brutality)

Not the 300 episode recycling nonsense.
Good mature stories.

Cius

Executive Member
Full metal Panic is great up until Fumofu
Trigun and cowboy bebob are also incredible
None of these are long winded, good stories that come to an end
Oh, and eyeshield 21

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Full metal Panic is great up until Fumofu
Trigun and cowboy bebob are also incredible
None of these are long winded, good stories that come to an end
Oh, and eyeshield 21
Oh comeon, Fumofu was hilarious, like Tank Police and the erecta cockus road blocks.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
Oh some old movies to catch:

Macross Plus
Detonator Orgun
Ninja Scroll

Cius

Executive Member
Oh comeon, Fumofu was hilarious, like Tank Police and the erecta cockus road blocks.
I have never laughed so hard as I did for Fomofu. Sorry, I meant watch up to and including it. The last season just read the manga adaption to close out the story. The anime was not as good.

Datura

Captain Faptastic
Ninja Scroll
Absolutely brilliant Manga movie.
To add to this:
Urotsukidoji - this is a little bit nuts and disturbing at times but brilliant
Akira
Ghost in the Shell (not the new shite)
Fist of the North Star

I watch all of the above once every few months since I could get my hands on the VHS tapes up until today.

Think I will watch Ninja Scroll now.

There was an arcade game I used to play that was loosely based on Ninja scroll called Samurai Shodown. I loved playing as Gen-An Shiranui:
latest

Last edited:

wizardofid

Executive Member
Hmmm,

Chrono Crusade
Last Exile
Ghost in the shell:Stand Alone Complex
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Eureka 7 and Eureka AO
Hellsing OVA
Tenchi Muyo
Space Brothers

There's also the mainstream Attack on Titan and Sword Art Online.

I don't like any of that not my thing or style.
Couple of stuff seen over the last few weeks.

Castlevania, No need to explain this one
Harley quinn second season started.
Black butler
Highschool of the dead
Kiss him not me. (Bit heavy on the BL theme, but pretty funny.)
Angel beats
Murder princess (Light action and blood and gore, some funny scenes)

Some movies, some on them are teen dramas stuff with quite a bit of adult themes and some thing kids can enjoy, the animation is done wonderfully, stories and characters well constructed. Some are old some are really old as I am only getting back into anime now after many, many years.Will Denote teen dramas with a T.

Your name. T Decent, interesting premise.
Escaflowne Decent action fantasy
Girl who leapt through time. T Nice fleshed out story, some comedy, not too heavy on the drama.
Grave of the fireflies. Probably the saddest anime ever made
Hal, okayish, too short to say any do any thing useful, watch out for the plot twist at the end.
Pretty much any thing studio ghibli
Sunrise and mad house studios have some neat stuff

A silent voice. T With spirited away having always been my fav, and top of my list, A silent voice is a close second, maybe shared first place. It is really that great.Your man card will not be revoked if you watch this you, might earn some brownie points watching it with the SO. Like gave of the fireflies have some Kleenex ready for the SO any your self.

I am not a fan of the naruto, bleach, death note, style and theme, some of these have been around for a few season already, Just want some thing that is a fun, and easy to digest. Definitely looking for more stuff around the lines of highschool of the dead.

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Give the studio ghibili movies a go they have just released a few titles on Netflix this month just search the name Studio Ghibili in the search bar.

Try watching Howls moving castle, Spirited Away, Luputa castle in the sky and Princess Mononoke. Why you ask its the realism of the characters and the amazing musical scores.

Studio Ghibli relies heavily on hand-drawn animation. Although the studio uses some CGI technology, it only ever accounts for 10% of the final version of the film.
Spirited Away was the highest grossing film in Japanese cinema history until 2016. In 2016, Your Name, another Japanese animated film, beat Spirited Away’s record. However, Spirited Away is still the only non-English-language film to win Best Animated Feature at the Oscars.

View attachment 823517
Ghibli FTW.
As kids in the 70s we grew up on Heidi, Pinocchio and Maya the bee - all products of Nippon (co-founders of Ghibli). Their stuff has been around for ages.

Kosmik

Honorary Master
I don't like any of that not my thing or style.
Couple of stuff seen over the last few weeks.

Thats the great thing about anime, such a huge variety and style. I love the fact that peoples imaginations can really roam free and visualise, without the restrictions of age etc.

Oh, not anime but the original Tom Macfarlanes Spawn is excellent ( series not the movies ).

And op, checkout AniDB, it has a similar comparison tool for stuff you like.