PrimeSteak

Hey guys, what android tv box/tv stick would you guys recommend? My current DSTV decoder (one of the old grey ones) is starting to bug out and I want to replace it with an android tv box/tv stick that I can watch Netflix, Showmax and DSTV Now on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak

Lupus

Honorary Master
Best - Nvidia Shield
Best bang for buck - Ematic / Mi Box
Think the Mi Box trumps the Ematic on price though and support of Netflix and such. But for cheaper on a Full HD TV just get the Mi stick, it's the baby brother to the Mi Box and it's not really that much slower for the price.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Think the Mi Box trumps the Ematic on price though and support of Netflix and such. But for cheaper on a Full HD TV just get the Mi stick, it's the baby brother to the Mi Box and it's not really that much slower for the price.
Possibly, although the Ematic has a LAN port...

Ivan Leon

Expert Member
I have been using an eMatic AGT419 Android Box since April 2021 - VERY happy with it so far - NO issues whatsoever - very stable & responsive - full Google Play, YouTube, Netflix, DSTV, Showmax, Amazon Prime, Facebook Watch compatibility, as well as Google Assistant voice control via the remote (which also has dedicated buttons for YouTube, Netflix & Google Play on it).

It is directly connected to my Huawei B525 LTE router via a LAN cable - and I have also used it on wi-fi as well - with no connectivity problems or instability noted on either option.

I have it connected to my Sony Home Theatre System via HDMI and a SP/DIF optical digital cable.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

Coming from a Mibox to a friend who has the stick, you can feel how slow it is.

Zyk1

Expert Member
I have been using the Mi Box and the Telkom LIT box for a few years.
Both are great.
I prefer the LIT Box

SHL

Expert Member
Hey guys, what android tv box/tv stick would you guys recommend? My current DSTV decoder (one of the old grey ones) is starting to bug out and I want to replace it with an android tv box/tv stick that I can watch Netflix, Showmax and DSTV Now on.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Kind Regards
PrimeSteak
Been using the Ematic since it launched. No issues whatsoever.

Lupus

Honorary Master
Yeah but if you've just got the stick you'll be fine. I've got both and the stick isn't too bad on the full HD TV

PrimeSteak

Yeah but if you've just got the stick you'll be fine. I've got both and the stick isn't too bad on the full HD TV
Ok, what's the performance difference here between the stick and the box? Is the stick's performance like comparing a 2000s laptop's performance with one from the late 2010s (I know, it's not the best example/comparison)? Or what?

Lupus

Honorary Master
Ok, what's the performance difference here between the stick and the box? Is the stick's performance like comparing a 2000s laptop's performance with one from the late 2010s (I know, it's not the best example/comparison)? Or what?
Nah not that bad, it's like comparing a phone with 1GB of RAM vs one with 2GB, if you don't run multiple apps in the background, which being a TV stick you generally don't. It will run fine, it's marginally slower like something that would take maybe 15ms on the box will take 20ms, the biggest difference is the RAM, the box has 2GB while the stick has 1GB.

Scary_Turtle

Expert Member

Just a little sluggish, noticeable if you are used to a faster system. Like a 1 sec delay when you are doing things quickly/opening lots of things.

PrimeSteak

UPDATE: I got the Mi TV Stick in this past week, works like a dream. Streams Netflix, DSTV, Showmax and Youtube easily and effectively. Haven't really got any performance issues thus far, nor is the stick getting really hot after being used for long periods of time. So, all in all, a great device, would recommend it if you want an bang for buck alternative to a DStv decoder/other tv sticks or boxes

Dolby

Honorary Master
Ematic may be R100.00 more, but it has an extra USB, an added LAN, has better support and upgrades.