What's the Best Free Anti-virus and Malware Programs

SoldierMan

Expert Member
I currently have AVG for virus and Spybot for malware, but I really hate the updated AVG software and Spybot hangs (I have to go into task master to close the program) when I try to fix the problems that have been detected.

Can anyone recommend some other free programs.

rh1

Windows security. Been a few years on only this. Helps that I generally stay away from dodgy sites. Dont open links from emails etc.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Windows security. Been a few years on only this. Helps that I generally stay away from dodgy sites. Dont open links from emails etc.
Yip I don't visit dodgy sites either and am very careful with my e-mails but I also want that extra protection.

rh1

I used to have the same issues with the anti virus programmes, then I did research and I think if you search this forum there are threads discussing this topic. I also looked at the ranking at that time and noticed it was ranked quite high.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
No need just keep your Windows 10 up to date and you'll be fine...

I'm on Windows 7, updating to W10 slows my laptop down incredibly. Also, when I use Windows Update my laptop heats up like an oven within a minute and the fan sounds like a jet engine even when running practically nothing so stopped using it. Maybe I should just use the security patches instead of the bigger updates.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I'm on Windows 7, updating to W10 slows my laptop down incredibly. Also, when I use Windows Update my laptop heats up like an oven within a minute and the fan sounds like a jet engine even when running practically nothing so stopped using it. Maybe I should just use the security patches instead of the bigger updates.
Maybe it needs new thermal paste. Windows 10 is faster than 7 even on old hardware.

Reactions: rh1

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Oh but I see Microsoft stopped support for W7 in January, so I can't get any more updates... Will have to rely on anti-virus software.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member
Windows Security is good. Sophos is also very good and free for personal use.

Dairyfarmer

Expert Member

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
Will see how TotalAV goes otherwise will give them a try.

Does Avast Free provide real-time protection?
Never heard of totalAV, also never use anti viruses that most IT folk have heard of such as totalAV. Seeing Smadav on people's machine makes me want to hang myself.

Yes, avast free has real-time protection.

SoldierMan

Expert Member
Never heard of totalAV, also never use anti viruses that most IT folk have heard of such as totalAV. Seeing Smadav on people's machine makes me want to hang myself.

Yes, avast free has real-time protection.
Thanks, yeah just checked as well and it does. So removing TotalAV as it doesn't have real-time and am installing Avast.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Thanks, yeah just checked as well and it does. So removing TotalAV as it doesn't have real-time and am installing Avast.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avast

On 27 January 2020 Motherboard reported "An Avast antivirus subsidiary sells 'Every search. Every click. Every buy. On every site.' Its clients have included Home Depot, Google, Microsoft, Pepsi, and McKinsey."[40] The investigation showed that the Avast Antivirus and AVG AntiVirus programs collected data from the users' computers and that the Avast subsidiary Jumpshot repackaged and sold them.
Lol