What's the best way to improve Wi-Fi coverage in your home?

Kevin Lancaster

MyBroadband Editor
If your Wi-Fi signal at home is not reaching all parts of your house - due to size, double-storey, many walls, etc - what is best way to improve coverage?

LAN cables to each room with access points, Ethernet over power, a single strong router - what works best?

Nithan15

Expert Member
I went the route of a single strong router and it works in a double storey house.

OCP

Expert Member
Cables will always be best - every house i get my mitts on ends up with atleast 1 point per room (not bathrooms ofcourse)

Data over power is very finicky and ofter more trouble than what it is worth.

If you want to keep it simple - stick with Ubiquity WAPs - start with one and add as you need

supersunbird

Honorary Master
I have my main ADSL/Fibre router with wifi in the front of house and then an old access point type thing in the other side of house (with separate SSID). 99% coverage of house and yard.

Chevron

Serial breaker of phones
If your Wi-Fi signal at home is not reaching all parts of your house - due to size, double-storey, many walls, etc - what is best way to improve coverage?

LAN cables to each room with access points, Ethernet over power, a single strong router - what works best?
Two separate wifi routers connected land at opposite ends of the house. Same settings on both so hand off is seemless.

Just pay attention to make sure you don't have dhcp enabled on multiple devices.

KantSnyer

Cant wait to get Google Mesh setup, wired network with 2 AP's for now in double storey house.

Arthur

Honorary Master
If you want to keep it simple - stick with Ubiquity WAPs - start with one and add as you need
+1

Three of these solved all my probs. Feeling quite a 'nana I didn't do this years ago.

Last edited:

marlin178

Expert Member
I can also vouch for the Ubiquiti Unifi AP's.... Go for AC versions- they're epic!

I could be wrong but I read on numerous sites last night that upping the power on the AP on the 2.4gHz frequency will help in terms of coverage. 2.4 gHz is stronger in terms of coverage (though slower) when compared to 5 gHz....

MickeyD

RIP

Move to a smaller place...

MickZA

Executive Member
Crack your neighbours WiFi security :whistling:

... seriously though, lan cables to three cheap wireless routers in my case. Ditched my powerline adaptors because of the speed bottleneck.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Crack your neighbours WiFi security :whistling:
I always find it amusingly infuriating that whenever I try to help someone with their home wireless issues there is always some neighbour that must be running some ninja hardware because it pushes more coverage out than I'm trying to just get working inside the bloody house.

And usually when doing SSID scans and such it's regular consumer brands and not the enterprise stuff you would expect.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
Ran a LAN cable through the roof to an AP. WiFi repeaters are a bad idea, they noticeable slow down the WiFi speed.

Honey Badger

Honorary Master

Move to a smaller place...
That's me. I'm not rich enough to afford a house in which my wifi coverage would be an issue with a single router.

I do however have 2 other routers acting as AP's to cover the entire yard.

DominionZA

Executive Member
Similar setup (Double story etc...) and recently went Ubiquiti UniFi WAP. Got 2 of them and entire property is covered. Even neighbours pick it up.

Solid solid stuff this.

Geoff.D

Honorary Master
Ran a LAN cable through the roof to an AP. WiFi repeaters are a bad idea, they noticeable slow down the WiFi speed.
plus one on this.

Wi-Fi repeaters and extenders are more of a nuisance than they are worth. A an example one just ahs to try and help someone with their DSTV extender for connecting a decoder to a LAN/ or the Internet.

The better answer is a centralised non-wifi router that handles your main connection and then LAN connections to well placed APs.

Last edited: