What's the process of Migrating my ADSL line from Mweb to Telkom to Afrihost?

Jackie Paper

Hi Guys

Has anyone moved from Mweb to Afrihost? I asked Afrihost this, and they replied with, "you have to migrate your line to Telkom, then we can help". When I asked Mweb, they seem confused and sent me a change of address application form. Obvs this is not what I need...

So any advice, from those who have walked this path, would be appreciated greatly.

-G

Honey Badger

Honorary Master
The golden rule is to keep your line with Telkom as far as its possible. Exactly because of this ^

gregmcc

Honorary Master
You need to move line back to Telkom and then you can get AH to move it from Telkom to themselves.

Jackie Paper

Reason for Migrating is, I can't get a 10meg line with Telkom, but I can if I migrate to Afrihost, is this true?

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
Reason for Migrating is, I can't get a 10meg line with Telkom, but I can if I migrate to Afrihost, is this true?
Maximum line speed has nothing to do with your ISP. If your line can only do 4Mbit you can change ISPs until you blue in the face, it's not going to help you get a 10Mbit line.

Jackie Paper

Maximum line speed has nothing to do with your ISP. If your line can only do 4Mbit you can change ISPs until you blue in the face, it's not going to help you get a 10Mbit line.
I thought so... so if they offer 10mbps, how do I get that? Do I have to wait for it to become available?

gregmcc

Honorary Master
They might be offering it, but if you live far from the exchange or have bad copper your line might only be able to sync at 4Mbps.

AfriMan

Afrihost Representative
Company Rep
Hi Guys

Has anyone moved from Mweb to Afrihost? I asked Afrihost this, and they replied with, "you have to migrate your line to Telkom, then we can help". When I asked Mweb, they seem confused and sent me a change of address application form. Obvs this is not what I need...

So any advice, from those who have walked this path, would be appreciated greatly.

-G
You do have to move your line back to Telkom first, as Telkom do not allow ISP to ISP tranfers of lines.

As some of the guys have said, ISP management does not change any physical infrastructure, so your speeds are determined by the capabilities of the exchange, your distance from it, and the quality of the copper cable in your area. We'll do our best to get Telkom to sync you at the highest rate possible :)

PM me if you have questions.