Whats the Virgin Money credit card like?

airborne

Honorary Master
I don't need credit but having a credit card is handy sometimes. The main drawback for me is the monthly card fees, adds up to around R300 odd a year but it seems the Virgin Money credit card has no monthly fees:
http://www.virginmoneycard.co.za/virginmoneycard/The-Deal/What-are-the-fees

What's the catch?

If there are no monthly fees how does the Virgin Money credit card compare to other offerings, does it have free roadside assistance etc(many of them do and I've used it, saved me around R1000 in towing fees).

Beachless

Executive Member
There are a few threads on here if you do a search.
But there are no fees and you only get travel insurance as far as I know.
Im very happy with mine.

Oh and you most likely get free roadside assistance with your car insurance. I had free assistance from 3 places at one stage.

Last edited:

airborne

Honorary Master
Thanks Beachless, so apart from the fees on a per transaction basis there are zero yearly or monthly fees?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No monthly or yearly fees. Uses ABSA backend.

Didn't even know about the travel insurance part, but no other extras.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Thanks Beachless, so apart from the fees on a per transaction basis there are zero yearly or monthly fees?

Just interest if in credit like any other credit card and fee if drawing cash for some reason.

patrick

Expert Member
You used to also get 10% off at virgin active, but now you're just exempt from the joining fee.

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
The card is free but any non-swipe transactions are very pricey.

Had mine for years but dropping it now and switching to FNB because the eBucks benefit outranks the R50 a month extra cost.

Internet Banking platform is atrocious...because ABSA.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Had a Gold FNB credit card for years as an emergency facility. Annual fee irked me as did the R200 linkage fee to earn eBucks...

Switched to a Virgin Money CC this time last year and have not looked back. As mentioned, their back end is ABSA and therefore the online banking part of Virgin Money is the old, albeit slimline version ABSA used to offer their clients. It works.

Plus - no monthly / annual fees and up to 55 days free credit is you plan your spending right.

I am happy :)

FlashSA

Executive Member
The interest is skyhigh so just make sure you pay it off each month

I just don't get the concept of people being unable to control their spending habits and loading up the credit card without the means to settle the full statement amount.

I am not flush - we manage. If something breaks and we have the actual money in a bank account we replace or fix it. If we don't have the money then we save over x months until we can have it sorted out.

The only time I would EVER load more on a CC than I have money to settle would be for a family member's health reasons in the unlikely even that Discovery gave us gears.

I am just too turned off by debt to ever load up a CC. Krikey, I run my Virgin Money CC via a spreadsheet. Every purchase using the CC gets inputted into the spreadsheet along with a running total. Said total is never allowed to be higher than my Capitec balance. And no, I am not an accountant.....

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
No monthly or yearly fees. Uses ABSA backend.

Didn't even know about the travel insurance part, but no other extras.

Yip. They were great when I went to visit my friend in the UK. I gave them a call, asked about the travel insurance and they send me my confirmation that I was covered and a document with all the procedures etc for if something happens that I gave to my friend in case something happened and I erm ... well, could not do it myself.

They were also fantastic in that I booked with British Airways, but as luck would have it when I had to fly they were hit by strike action ... so I cancelled my ticket with them and was going to have to rebook with SAA. Thing was my credit limit would not have allowed that ... so I gave them a call again ... 5 minutes later and a few basic questions and my new credit limit was approved. I have only ever had good service with them.

rorz0r

Executive Member
Got fnb and Virgin cards. Used the Virgin one when we did renovations years back and since then it's just lying in the cupboard as emergency. The application process and delivery was super easy. Online banking kinda basic and you're limited to one beneficiary and have to phone in to set it up. Otherwise can't complain, it's basically free.

lexor

Expert Member
I just keep mine a real emergency when I need quick cash. Never used it so far.

airborne

Honorary Master
Doesn't seem to be any roadside assistance included with the Virgin card though?

Sherbang

Executive Member
If you travel overseas it's good to have as all cash withdrawals cost R15 anywhere in the world. Not so good here but a lot cheaper than most other banks if you're overseas and easy to keep track of the fee you're paying.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Doesn't seem to be any roadside assistance included with the Virgin card though?

And? Did someone say there is?

Maybe your insurer has it.

I buy my roadside assistance separately anyway. Can even just summon them with a app.

edit:
Now that you mention it, none of my CCs have that. I think some garage cards do.

Last edited:

FlashSA

Executive Member
Fellow VMCC'ers: On what date do you usually receive your statement?

FlashSA

Executive Member
I'm normally between the 2nd and 4th of the month so I suppose it all depends when one joined.