Whats the Virgin Money credit card like?

TheBadMadMan

Looks like my hand is being forced to open a CC with my bank, Capitec.

First BlueBean a while back, now VMCC. Sad.

What are the latest CC offerings with the lowest fees? Interest rate does not matter as I always pay off the complete amount per month.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
OK. Will have to apply to Capitec again then and see if I can get a high enough credit line to transfer my debt to Capitec rather. Dont want to be with ABSA.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Bad news, VMCC is being killed off :(

View attachment 899168
Pity, have had mine since like 2008, Luckily I don't owe anything on it. Haven't received any comms about it yet.

I doubt any ABSA CC will have a no monthly or yearly fee option, so I will be closing it when they contact me and not moving over to any ABSA CC.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
Pity, have had mine since like 2008, Luckily I don't owe anything on it. Haven't received any comms about it yet.

I doubt any ABSA CC will have a no monthly or yearly fee option, so I will be closing it when they contact me and not moving over to any ABSA CC.
Yeah only free for students lol.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Yeah only free for students lol.
I have a Nedbank CC as an emergency backup, The interest rate is a bit high at 17.5% (not that I owe anything on it) but I see it's costing me only R17.50pm, so still no reason to switch to ABSA and close the Nedbank one.

labratza

Expert Member
news to me. got Virgin due to low monthly fees and have absa premium but it gets used for lounges at airport as their is no limit on how often can go. so take it they will not be able to transfer me to absa

bluepoole

I got the email just now, they say they will assist all customers to move to an Absa credit card if you want to.

I already have an Absa credit card, don’t want another one (can an individual even have two separate credit card accounts at the same bank?), not interested to have an account with another bank.

So I wonder what will happen now...will they close the account and you have to cough up the outstanding balance immediately? Not really possible with COVID circumstances...or will they stop usage of the card but you can pay it off until it’s settled?

Hoping to get more clarity on this soon...but I’m really disappointed to see them go.

4ftersh0ck

Expert Member

I found their email to me in my Gmail Spam folder.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I got this today as well. What's the cheapest credit card these days in terms of fees? I doubt that Absa will be able to match Virgin.
Yeah, I need to do research ASAP as I don't have any other CCARD. I haven't used my VMCC in several months but I will have to replace it with another bank's cheapest offering as a wallet backup

Crusader

Expert Member
Also just found their email in my Gmail Spam folder. Not a great idea to have such an important email coming from a campaigns email address.

Transferred the funds I had available to my ABSA account. Guess I'll have to be happy with their R53/month CC fee.

I wonder if ABSA's recent move to VISA credit cards played a part in this decision. They recently issued a new VISA card to me and cancelled the Mastercard one I had (which only expires in 2022).

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Yeah, I need to do research ASAP as I don't have any other CCARD. I haven't used my VMCC in several months but I will have to replace it with another bank's cheapest offering as a wallet backup
Same boat here, VM is my only credit card.

R14pm for a ABSA Flexi Core Credit Card looks good:

Last edited:

Crusader

Expert Member
My Absa credit card has always been a VISA one, for the last few years already.
They used to give you a choice. Had a Mastercard one from 2000. They've now moved over completely to VISA for some reason.

Same boat here, VM is my only credit card.

R14pm for a ABSA Flexi Core Credit Card looks good:

Just keep in mind that there's an additional R30 monthly charge for "monthly credit facility fee" on all the credit cards except the student one. So the total cost will be R44 p/m
1598371989716.png

cr@zydude

Executive Member

FlashSA

Executive Member
When do your cards expire? I see mine is November this year. I wonder if the card will work until then?