Whats the Virgin Money credit card like?

airborne

Honorary Master
And? Did someone say there is?

Maybe your insurer has it.

I buy my roadside assistance separately anyway. Can even just summon them with a app.

edit:
Now that you mention it, none of my CCs have that. I think some garage cards do.
Fnb garage card has roadside assistance, as does the Bluebean cc, blue bean has one of the best assistance programs.

How much does your roadside assistance cost and what does it offer?

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Can the credit card be used for buying fuel and paying at the tolls on the way to Durban ?

Can the credit card be paid from a Capitec bank account?

FlashSA

Executive Member
Can the credit card be used for buying fuel and paying at the tolls on the way to Durban ?

Yes, yes and yes

Just remember that fuel purchases attract interest from day 1

midnightcaller

Expert Member
Yes, yes and yes

Just remember that fuel purchases attract interest from day 1

Okay, having to pay for interest due to fuel purchases is a put off. The reason is because I don't pay interest when I use my Nedbank Visa card.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Don't worry, you will not be charged interest on the fuel purchases immediately, that information is outdated by 3 or more years.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender

I buy fuel with my virgin card. I also paid a toll fee a while back in Pretoria. And yes, it is easy to pay the Virgin Money card with Capitec. I settle my card balance every month from my Capitec account.

SaoirseB

Expert Member
Yip. They were great when I went to visit my friend in the UK. I gave them a call, asked about the travel insurance and they send me my confirmation that I was covered and a document with all the procedures etc for if something happens that I gave to my friend in case something happened and I erm ... well, could not do it myself.

They were also fantastic in that I booked with British Airways, but as luck would have it when I had to fly they were hit by strike action ... so I cancelled my ticket with them and was going to have to rebook with SAA. Thing was my credit limit would not have allowed that ... so I gave them a call again ... 5 minutes later and a few basic questions and my new credit limit was approved. I have only ever had good service with them.

I wish I'd known about the travel insurance before my trip. Anyway now I do.

LCBXX

Honorary Master
I've actually closed my VMoney Cridit Account in favor of a overdraft on my FNB Cheque account. I liked the no monthly fee setup but am finding that the overdraft option will work out cheaper both interest rate and fee wise in the long run.

digitalweddings

1. No rewards - getting lots and lots of ebucks with FNB (fuel, checkers etc)
2. Very Low credit limits (1/10th of what Fnb offers me)
3. Very basic online banking, you can basicly do nothing accept checking your balance
4. Good as a backup card (as it cost you nothing), helps with good credit records. Useing it once a month for something small to keep it active, came in really handy when they stole my wallet the other day (that's if you are keeping your virgin card somewhere else of course:)

Goliath

Expert Member
Good backup credit card and their fees when drawing overseas is also cheap!

Russell S

I use mine on a daily basis for purchases etc. No idea what the interest rates are like as I always have a positive balance on my credit cards. For daily purchases it works well as a cash alternative as there are no transaction fees for swiping.

A BIG plus is that in my experience, their call center and customer service is brilliant. You simply cannot compare them to the other morons you get through to on places like Standard Bank.

FlashSA

Executive Member
In the past month, I know of 3 people who experienced fraudulant activity on their Credit Card (various banks). This is making me jittery.

I watch cashiers and watresses like a hawk when they charge my card and live in fear that I am going to log into VMCC online and find fraudulant transactions even though I am UBER careful.

While FNB (R40pm) offers full protection against pinless fraud, with Virgin Money you are on your own as far as I can tell. I am wondering if that R40pm at FNB isn't worth the piece of mind. I can of course turn on SMS updates for 50c each at Virgin, but with the 20-40 transactions a month we get closer to the full protection of FNB.

Anyone else jittery?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
In the past month, I know of 3 people who experienced fraudulant activity on their Credit Card (various banks). This is making me jittery.

I watch cashiers and watresses like a hawk when they charge my card and live in fear that I am going to log into VMCC online and find fraudulant transactions even though I am UBER careful.

While FNB (R40pm) offers full protection against pinless fraud, with Virgin Money you are on your own as far as I can tell. I am wondering if that R40pm at FNB isn't worth the piece of mind. I can of course turn on SMS updates for 50c each at Virgin, but with the 20-40 transactions a month we get closer to the full protection of FNB.

Anyone else jittery?

Pinless fraud? The supplier who provided the service/goods has a problem, not you. So don't know how the FNB thing protects you more against that.

Not jittery at all.

mr_norris

Expert Member

Anyone else jittery?

You're not on your own with Virgin. Someone nailed 20k worth of airline tickets on my card and I got it all back. That's without paying for any special sort of insurance.

All I did was call the ABSA fraud line (they're wallies, and a touch slow, but eventually get the job done) and submit all the necessary forms. 2 weeks later I got the refund.

Sherbang

Executive Member

Anyone else jittery?
I was a victim of card cloning a year or two ago, my Virgin Money card was cloned and used. At the time it was pinless, i.e. the card didn't have a chip at the time (my new VM card does). Anyway, VM reimbursed the money stolen after an investigation.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Nope, my limit too low for it to worry me.

I'm on a 30k limit. Normally have 50%-75% of that still available during the month. R15k hit would hurt but glad to hear positive experiences from you guys when things did go wrong