Whats the Virgin Money credit card like?

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
In the past month, I know of 3 people who experienced fraudulant activity on their Credit Card (various banks). This is making me jittery.

I watch cashiers and watresses like a hawk when they charge my card and live in fear that I am going to log into VMCC online and find fraudulant transactions even though I am UBER careful.

While FNB (R40pm) offers full protection against pinless fraud, with Virgin Money you are on your own as far as I can tell. I am wondering if that R40pm at FNB isn't worth the piece of mind. I can of course turn on SMS updates for 50c each at Virgin, but with the 20-40 transactions a month we get closer to the full protection of FNB.

Anyone else jittery?

My Virgin card has been defrauded four or five times in the last 10 years.

Never had an issue getting my money back...and I didn't need to pay R40 a month for it either which is ridiculous.

FlashSA

Executive Member
My Virgin card has been defrauded four or five times in the last 10 years.

Never had an issue getting my money back...and I didn't need to pay R40 a month for it either which is ridiculous.

R480 per year for a credit card where they make money from your swipes is insane - I agree - and that doesn't even give you any eBucks rewards (almost another R200pa linkage fee). I have been staring at their pricing and benefits and I just could not bring myself to log in and apply for a card from them again.

I will continue to use my much loved VMCC and just be super careful with it.

airborne

Honorary Master
In the past month, I know of 3 people who experienced fraudulant activity on their Credit Card (various banks). This is making me jittery.

I watch cashiers and watresses like a hawk when they charge my card and live in fear that I am going to log into VMCC online and find fraudulant transactions even though I am UBER careful.

While FNB (R40pm) offers full protection against pinless fraud, with Virgin Money you are on your own as far as I can tell. I am wondering if that R40pm at FNB isn't worth the piece of mind. I can of course turn on SMS updates for 50c each at Virgin, but with the 20-40 transactions a month we get closer to the full protection of FNB.

Anyone else jittery?
My Capitec card was cloned a few months back, after investigation all refunded.

Anyway I decided to use a permanent marker to blot out the CVV numbers(no CVV number no telephonic cc transactions possible by the scammers) and then stuck a square of professional black vinyl film(stuff they use to wrap cars etc) over the blacked out CVV number just to be sure. I made sure the vinyl was firmly stuck down(it sticks like crazy) , what do you know but a few weeks later the card I use often at tills etc had the black vinyl ripped off, not flapping off and coming loose as it would if it was just a problem with the glue(the viny I stuck on the other 3 cards is still perfect ) but cleanly ripped off. Still with the permanent marker covering the CVV it would have been near impossible to make out, highly recommend it, just make a record of the number before covering.

midnightcaller

Expert Member
I applied for a VM credit card. Application was accepted.

Is the card a chip based card?
Are there any caveats on the terms and conditions that I need to be aware of ?

FlashSA

Executive Member
I had a call from VMCC last week. They wanted to raise my credit limit (I have been spending A LOT related to the birth of our baby so used more of the credit facility than I ever have).

5 minutes of questions and they added another R10k. Great service!

(And yes, I still only spend on the VMCC what I have in my Capitec)

ice_cubes

Executive Member
I had a call from VMCC last week. They wanted to raise my credit limit (I have been spending A LOT related to the birth of our baby so used more of the credit facility than I ever have).

5 minutes of questions and they added another R10k. Great service!

Love their service...they never say no to a limit increase :)

FlashSA

Executive Member
What are the implications if I take the card and lock it in the safe?
Has anyone done this?

Yes

First 6 months I used it once in the first month to test and then it stayed in my wallet unused for the other 5 months. No charges accrue, no statement, nada.

It's exactly what it says on the box

midnightcaller

Expert Member
So I got a call this week from their delivery partner - uti.
They booked a timeslot.
And then came the next thing....
Please have a copy of you ID , payslip and proof of address ready to hand over to the driver on receipt of your credit card. FICA requirement.

The issue for me is that I don't want to be giving that information to the driver. I have no idea who the driver is and what can happen to those documents between my office and Virgin money.
How did you guys handle this?

FlashSA

Executive Member
They booked a timeslot.
Please have a copy of you ID , payslip and proof of address ready to hand over to the driver on receipt of your credit card. FICA requirement.

The issue for me is that I don't want to be giving that information to the driver. I have no idea who the driver is and what can happen to those documents between my office and Virgin money.

I gave the documents. Life is too short and this was not the first request like this (Afrihost needed for RICA when they delivered)

midnightcaller

Expert Member
I gave the documents. Life is too short and this was not the first request like this (Afrihost needed for RICA when they delivered)

Whose life?
Mine or the driver.
Because , if it's my life , I want to minimize the risk of ID theft or fraud.

I will call the call center this morning and enquire. There must be an alternative or a solution that will address my concern.

Dee96

Expert Member
Whose life?
Mine or the driver.
Because , if it's my life , I want to minimize the risk of ID theft or fraud.

I will call the call center this morning and enquire. There must be an alternative or a solution that will address my concern.

if I recall correctly, the driver comes with an envelope with your details on it.

You place the documents in the envelope and seal it

Sherbang

Executive Member
They booked a timeslot.

I don't really understand your concern tbh. You don't know what happens to those documents after it reaches Virgin Money either. Even if you take them personally to the bank you don't know what happens to them after you walk out the door. When you get a cellphone sim you just hand the documents over, don't you? Is it that you just don't trust delivery men?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Got a SMS this morning. Seems they are redoing their website and internet banking to get a update soon.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Got a SMS this morning. Seems they are redoing their website and internet banking to get a update soon.

Yip, got same. They will probably migrate us to the new ABSA online banking format

rph72

Executive Member
Is there an Android App for the Virgin Money credit Card? Tried the ABSA app, but it wouldn't let me register.

LOL, it even warned me my Galaxy S6 Edge is rooted. Idiots.