Whats the Virgin Money credit card like?

FlashSA

Executive Member
Is there an Android App for the Virgin Money credit Card? Tried the ABSA app, but it wouldn't let me register.

LOL, it even warned me my Galaxy S6 Edge is rooted. Idiots.

Nope - I tweeted VM a while ago and asked whether they had an APP or if I could use ABSA App - both negatives

FlashSA

Executive Member
New fee's from January 2016:

SMS's are now 55c each (I don't subscribe to them though)

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Just out of interest sake. Does ABSA get a cut of the transaction costs for Virgin Money credit cards?

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Which transaction costs? ATM withdrawals? Probably gets all of it.

No, like when you swipe your card. The store gets charged something like 2% lets say of the transaction to the card company. Does ABSA get a cut of that instead of Virgin Mobile bagging the entire amount? I cant imagine ABSA letting Virgin Money piggy back on their infrastructure for mahalla.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
No, like when you swipe your card. The store gets charged something like 2% lets say of the transaction to the card company. Does ABSA get a cut of that instead of Virgin Mobile bagging the entire amount? I cant imagine ABSA letting Virgin Money piggy back on their infrastructure for mahalla.

Maybe ABSA and the machine providers and MasterCard gets the transaction money and VM the interest? It's an interesting question.

DA-LION-619

Honorary Master
Can someone with more financial knowledge compare this to the Woolworths credit, both are backed by ABSA as I know.

I had a ABSA student credit card with a stupid limit of R200, WW offered me a gold cc which I took.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Can someone with more financial knowledge compare this to the Woolworths credit, both are backed by ABSA as I know.

I had a ABSA student credit card with a stupid limit of R200, WW offered me a gold cc which I took.

WW card = Card delivery fee, while VMCC = free delivery
WW card = monthly admin fees while VMCC = R0
WW card = earn % back in WW vouchers while VMCC = mo such earn from spend

I chose VMCC as it is completely free

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
WW card = Card delivery fee, while VMCC = free delivery
WW card = monthly admin fees while VMCC = R0
WW card = earn % back in WW vouchers while VMCC = mo such earn from spend

I chose VMCC as it is completely free

should get my new bluebean card tomorrow. i am getting thw black one. Spend R2000.00 per month and then there are no monthly fees. hoping the internet banking is better than that outdated ABSA sh*t that VM uses.

FlashSA

Executive Member
should get my new bluebean card tomorrow. i am getting thw black one. Spend R2000.00 per month and then there are no monthly fees. hoping the internet banking is better than that outdated ABSA sh*t that VM uses.

Cool! Rates and electricity is well over R2k pm. Will look into this too!

twr

Expert Member
I applied for my virgin money credit card in Oct, got approved in November and they said I'll be contacted by the courier company for delivering, it's been just over a month and nothing, zip, emailed them no response, phoned them and then spoke to the supervisor and still waiting for them to get back to me, all they said it wasn't finalized, shocking

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I applied for my virgin money credit card in Oct, got approved in November and they said I'll be contacted by the courier company for delivering, it's been just over a month and nothing, zip, emailed them no response, phoned them and then spoke to the supervisor and still waiting for them to get back to me, all they said it wasn't finalized, shocking

Try Bluebean then perhaps? They had some system issues and that is why my application took a bit long ... but a lot faster than yours. I have to admit though, I have always had very good service from the VM agents.

whatwhat

Executive Member

Check the interest rate on Woolies, I think its 24%

FlashSA

Executive Member
On Sunday 3/04/2016 I tried to buy from Dischem Online. My VMCC payment failed both times I tried. I forgot about it. Today I tried to buy from Takealot and use my VMCC, which I have done dozens of times. The payment failed even after I confirmed I was entering the correct OTP.

I called the call centre and the lady said she could see the failed transactions and I was entering the correct OTP but my card had lost permission to shop online. She submitted a fault and 20min later the card worked again.

Wierd. Info might help one of you one day if it happens to you.

FlashSA

Executive Member
I see there is now a R150 initiation fee for all new VMCC applicants. Nasty!

mr_norris

Expert Member
On Sunday 3/04/2016 I tried to buy from Dischem Online. My VMCC payment failed both times I tried. I forgot about it. Today I tried to buy from Takealot and use my VMCC, which I have done dozens of times. The payment failed even after I confirmed I was entering the correct OTP.

I called the call centre and the lady said she could see the failed transactions and I was entering the correct OTP but my card had lost permission to shop online. She submitted a fault and 20min later the card worked again.

Wierd. Info might help one of you one day if it happens to you.

I hardly use my CC, but I have noticed some arb things. About 2 years ago when I tried buying my phone through the Orange store, I got denied. Phoned them up, and same thing, didn't have permission to shop online.

Then, when my CC got absolutely totalled because of random fraud, they sorted it out quickly, which was great. But when I asked them to activate SMS alerts when it's swiped, they wanted to charge me for each notification. I thought that was rather lame . FNB doesn't charge me :/ I declined, seeing as though they are the ones that lose money when it happens.

But it seems that they do sometimes send SMS alerts when you type in your PIN incorrectly. Discovered that the other day when my father got it wrong.