Whats the Virgin Money credit card like?

TheBadMadMan

I hardly use my CC, but I have noticed some arb things. About 2 years ago when I tried buying my phone through the Orange store, I got denied. Phoned them up, and same thing, didn't have permission to shop online.

Then, when my CC got absolutely totalled because of random fraud, they sorted it out quickly, which was great. But when I asked them to activate SMS alerts when it's swiped, they wanted to charge me for each notification. I thought that was rather lame . FNB doesn't charge me :/ I declined, seeing as though they are the ones that lose money when it happens.

But it seems that they do sometimes send SMS alerts when you type in your PIN incorrectly. Discovered that the other day when my father got it wrong.

Trust me you paying for the SMSs by FNB. They recover those costs some other way.

FlashSA

Executive Member
It's a once off fee though, and less than most card's annual fees.

They never had it. Now they do. Adds a blemish to the sign up. Now not "100% free" as we have all raved about.

They really should offer to waive it if you swipe a certain amount in the first month, or waive it if you collect the card from an ABSA branch.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
They never had it. Now they do. Adds a blemish to the sign up. Now not "100% free" as we have all raved about.

They really should offer to waive it if you swipe a certain amount in the first month, or waive it if you collect the card from an ABSA branch.

Agreed, the easiest would be R150 if delivered, free if collected. It always sucks when a company starts charging for something that was free. It won't stop me from signing up though.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
Finally going Virgin Money. The product is great, but the application has been a bit of a pain.

I applied online, and their site kept crashing. Eventually one of the consultants called me to finish the process.

Next I send them bank statements, proof of address. payslip, copy of id. Unfortunately, my Capitec statement still had my PE address on it, and I sent my contract for my Cape Town place.

That was a red flag that had them calling me at work to verify that I am who I say I am. I had to change my address with Capitec, and hopefully now it's sorted.

Also, the ABSA card division consultants really don't understand the product. One lady kept telling me about my 'provincial' limit while I kept asking if she meant provisional. I also keep getting conflicting answers about fuel purchases being interest free in the 55 day window.

FlashSA

Executive Member
Finally going Virgin Money. The product is great, but the application has been a bit of a pain.

I applied online, and their site kept crashing. Eventually one of the consultants called me to finish the process.

Next I send them bank statements, proof of address. payslip, copy of id. Unfortunately, my Capitec statement still had my PE address on it, and I sent my contract for my Cape Town place.

That was a red flag that had them calling me at work to verify that I am who I say I am. I had to change my address with Capitec, and hopefully now it's sorted.

Also, the ABSA card division consultants really don't understand the product. One lady kept telling me about my 'provincial' limit while I kept asking if she meant provisional. I also keep getting conflicting answers about fuel purchases being interest free in the 55 day window.

Wife is currently in the application process. Same story - has become a lot more complicated than when I signed up. Lots of back and forwards with this document and then than request.

Nearing the end hopefully as she wanted to can the whole thing but I am pushing her by reminding her of the pink card. LOL

Milano

Honorary Master
How often do you have to use it to stop receiving the low usage SMS's?

RichardG

Honorary Master
What I like most about Virgin Money Card you can deposit R50 grand cash and only get charged R55 fixed rate unlike other banks whereby they charge you per note

RichardG

Honorary Master

Fuel purchases aren't interest free with the petrol card, only on credit card

cr@zydude

Executive Member
On Tuesday I was told to expect a call in 48 hours. Since they hadn't called yet, I called them this morning. They claim not to have any of my documents. I had to take them to ABSA and yet they can't find them How the hell does that happen?

cr@zydude

Executive Member
It's been 4 weeks since I first applied, and I'm still having issues. On Wednesday I got an email to say that my proof of address was outstanding. I send them scanned copies of my rental agreement, which were certified by an ABSA clerk. I got the automated response to say that they had received it. The next day I get another email to say that my documents are outstanding. I call to ask what the problem is, and they say that they need proof of residence, so I send it again, and get another confirmation of receipt. Friday, I get 2 emails to say proof of residence outstanding. Today I went to an ABSA branch once again, to try to sort it out.

The ABSA clerk says that the error code on my application says that my contract isn't initialed on every page. I take out my contract and check, and it is initialled on every page. She calls card division, and after the security questions, I tell the call centre lady that pages are initialled and certified. The call centre lady then asks we "What letters did write in the corner?" To which I of course reply, "My initials, why?" She claims that they can't make out that I initialled the page, as the letters aren't clear.

What a load of ***, because they can't read my signature I had to get a different proof of address. Luckily Capitec was quick and easy to get a statement from. Still, it's damn frustrating! My signature doesn't need to be easy for you to read.

Hopefully I get my card soon. At the rate things are going though, Capitec may launch their one before I get the Virgin Money card.

FlashSA

Executive Member
My wife is also still struggling after several weeks. Looks like getting a VMCC has become near impossible. Perhaps Telkom Sales have taken over Virgin Money...