What's with the remote managed router trend? When did this started happening?

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
I can't even log in to change the Wifi SSID. Reset the router but they can't email me the PPPoE details without taking me through the whole quick setup and me having to enable remote management again. Guess they'll change the password as well again. Retarded. When did this "trend" started happening?

Last edited:

Anthro

Expert Member
Who's the ISP ?
Sounds like hogwash.
I had a preconfigured, locked router from Cybersmart, which I replaced immediately with a Mikrotik when they became available in stock.

Rickster

EVGA Fanatic
I can't even log in to change the Wifi SSID. Reset the router but they can't email me the PPPoE details without taking me through the whole quick setup and me having to enable remote management again. Guess they'll change the password as well again. Retarded. When did this "trend" started happening?
When people start to fiddle and change things then make it the ISP's problem.

ISP's who do this should make a secondary user with only the ability to change WIFI settings, thats all.

eddief1

Expert Member
Its a balance, 90% of users dont even know what a router is. So remote management is very handy to troubleshoot problems in this regard if they phoning into the ISP for support.

Forcing you to use a managed router is a different story

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Forcing you to use a managed router is a different story
I haven’t seen it being forced.

Either it’s a case of being the default and you can request to gain access.

Or otherwise they let it forward the WAN IP to the next downstream device and you can use your own router in place and manage it yourself locally.

|tera|

Master of Messengers
It’s been an international standard for an age, about time we catch up.
It's been a standard here as well.
I had a Vodacom 4G router that was managed as well.
Many providers do this.
Aa said. It stops people fiddling and making changes they shouldn't.
Best to confirm if it's managed or unmanaged before signing up.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
When people start to fiddle and change things then make it the ISP's problem.

ISP's who do this should make a secondary user with only the ability to change WIFI settings, thats all.
As noted above 90% won't even know how to fiddle with it and most support queries will be an unplugged or loose cable case in point --> https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/unfair-isp-callout-fee-anything-to-be-done.1086025/. The rest if they can't fix what they broke they can pay the call out fee and be done with it. This is retarded.
Had the same thing with Accelerit. Hence the router i received went back in the box 5 minutes later. I prefer my own SSID and IP range.
They'll probably call me up to ask why they can't access it or somesuch lol.

Last edited: