Whatsapp account re-authentication no longer supported on iPhone 4

blackguyza

I am opening this threat after a long struggle to register an account for a family member after she was given an old iPhone 4. Apparently Whatsapp stopped supporting new account registration on Whatsapp for iPhone 4 with iOS 7.1.2 even after installing "an older version of the app." It is said that Whatsapp will keep working for people who have already registered the account on iOS 7.1.2 until 2020. For now the challenge remain registering an account on this phone and possible other older model of the iPhone with iOS 7 or lower.

Many fortunate iPhone users have already pointed out the use of iPhone 4 as laughable but must of us are not that fortunate and I personally find iPhone 4 as being the best physically preserved phone I have ever seen after being used for almost 8 or so years.

I managed to get around the registration problem and this is how I went about it:

1) Jailbreak the phone using Pangu 1.2.1 on a Windows PC running iTunes 12.6.4.3 (this older version of iTunes is the latest which still support App installation and stuff). I followed this installation guide:

2) Go on Cydia > Source > Edit> Add > http://beta.unlimapps.com/

3) Install App Admin and Respring

4) Open your iTunes on your PC and Get Whatsapp while login with the same ID as your iPhone 4 and get Whatsapp. While the Whatsapp start downloading on your iTunes pause it.

5) Go to the App Store on iPhone and search for Whatsapp, it should display the download button and not the Get or Buy button.

6) When you tap on the Download button, a prompt will display asking if you want to get the latest version or Downgrade

7) Choose Downgrade. App Admin will suggest several known versions.

8) Chose version 2.18.80.

Please tell me if you tried this and if it worked. Cheers.

Dolby

Honorary Master
What would be the reason for WhatsApp not working on an iPhone 4? The physical reason?

blackguyza

iPhone 4 in 2018, I hope they are patient by nature. Isn't that thing hella slow?
The speed is better if you keep it with low memory usage. Avoid too many videos, photos and unnecessary Apps. By the way it looks like iPhone SE and can make a not so fortunate person fit into the crowd.

Lupus

Honorary Master
How about getting a newer phone? I mean that thing is 8 years old and you've had to do a few hacks and tricks to even get it to kind of work.
You could get a decent phone for a R999

blackguyza

How about getting a newer phone? I mean that thing is 8 years old and you've had to do a few hacks and tricks to even get it to kind of work.
You could get a decent phone for a R999
Chief you don’t understand what I am saying do you? Do you have a slightest idea how many people do not have any internet enabled phones out there? Where do you expect them to get the R999? Besides, this thing is Apple, it is iPhone. It is still working, still looking good. These few hacks will help someone out there who is in need. Do you think it is better to throw it away?

This Phone has changed someone’s life, okay.

kolaval

Expert Member
I would venture that it has more to do with the iOS version than the physical device.

[Tinfoil hat on]
Apple might be pressuring companies to not support unsupported iOS versions in an effort to sell new devices.
[Tinfoil hat off]

LazyLion

King of de Jungle
It's nothing sinister, Whatsapp simply saves money by not wasting support resources on older (and more rare) hardware installations.

chrisc

Executive Member
Wife has an iPhone 3 she got in 2010 and WhatsApp still works on it. Its been on for about 3 years now. She sees no need to change it and has resisted an upgrade

SauRoNZA

Honorary Master
Why not just register the account on a different phone and move the sim over?

Seems much much simpler.

blackguyza

Why not just register the account on a different phone and move the sim over?

Seems much much simpler.
Whatsapp doesn’t work that way. When you switch from one phone to another, you have register your numbers on the new phone so it can bring up your profile and the likes.