WhatsApp admins beware - You can be sued for posts in your group

saor

Honorary Master
However, the administrator of the WhatsApp group is likely to be the first “port of call” when pursuing legal action.
The risk to WhatsApp admins is not new. An administrator of a WhatsApp group in India was arrested last year after a defamatory post was made by one of his group members.
So some speculation and a case in India. Has this actually happened locally?

Swa

Honorary Master
So some speculation and a case in India. Has this actually happened locally?
No not yet and I doubt it will. When it comes down to it admins have no real control over content. Once it's posted to a group it's sent to everybody automatically and there's no real way for an admin to delete it. It's not like a facebook page where if something is deleted it's deleted for everybody that didn't share it. But we know how lawyers like to talk speculative kuk over things that haven't happened.

SilverCode

WhatsApp admins beware - You can be sued for posts in your group
Well yeah ... anyone can be sued for anything in a WhatsApp group. If someone doesn't like me using the ice cream emojie they can sue me; They are unlikely to win, but they can sue me.

What would give this headline or article any sort of credence is if WhatsApp group admins could be prosecuted. There is a major difference between having a frivolous lawsuit against you, and having criminal charges against you.

ekske1

Executive Member

Swa

Honorary Master
Well yeah ... anyone can be sued for anything in a WhatsApp group. If someone doesn't like me using the ice cream emojie they can sue me; They are unlikely to win, but they can sue me.

What would give this headline or article any sort of credence is if WhatsApp group admins could be prosecuted. There is a major difference between having a frivolous lawsuit against you, and having criminal charges against you.
Exactly. I wish mybb would do proper articles that get multiple views instead of continually posting these one sided opinion pieces as 'news'.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
So this logic, if somebody verbally attacks you in a Mall the Mall Owners are liable

cda

Verlie Oosthuizen needs to just shut the hell up, or mybb should really stop listening