WhatsApp bans over 100,000 accounts in Brazil election

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
WhatsApp bans over 100,000 accounts in Brazil election

WhatsApp banned hundreds of thousands of accounts in Brazil as the Facebook Inc. messaging service struggles to contain spam, misinformation and political shenanigans ahead of a runoff election in Latin America’s largest country.

Facebook set up a " war room" to stem the tide of hate speech, false information and other damaging content during Brazil’s election this month, marking a test for the social network ahead of the November midterm elections in the U.S.

[Bloomberg]

Executive Member
“We have cutting-edge technology to detect spam that identifies accounts with abnormal behavior so that they can’t be used to spread spam or misinformation"

I thought whatsapp messages were encrypted end to end? How do they know the content of the message?

Nick333

Honorary Master
As annoying as fake new is there's something disconcerting about governments and corporates shielding us from it. I don't trust them to make decisions about what's an actual lie and what's an unpopular decision.

supersunbird

Honorary Master
“We have cutting-edge technology to detect spam that identifies accounts with abnormal behavior so that they can’t be used to spread spam or misinformation"

I thought whatsapp messages were encrypted end to end? How do they know the content of the message?
Are groups encrypted? I assume that's the way of use to effectively spread misinformation. Or if WA PMs, then it's when too many people block/report the sender.

Executive Member
Are groups encrypted? I assume that's the way of use to effectively spread misinformation. Or if WA PMs, then it's when too many people block/report the sender.
They say they are. They also say end to end is always on by default.

sajunky

Honorary Master
As annoying as fake new is there's something disconcerting about governments and corporates shielding us from it. I don't trust them to make decisions about what's an actual lie and what's an unpopular decision.
^^^This. Whatsapp (Facebook) is currently involved very much in tracing 'fake' news, suspicious Facebook activity around elections.

It is always a stronger one (owing mass media) who decides what is true and what is fake. Please let me receive all and decide myself.

gamer16

Executive Member
I for one have more faith in the questionable agenda of governments than I do in the general public's ability to scrutinize information with logic.

Stupid made by stupid sent to stupid share to stupids stupids share stupids stupid. It's like a wildfire and before you know it its "General knowledge"

Nick333

Honorary Master
I for one have more faith in the questionable agenda of governments than I do in the general public's ability to scrutinize information with logic.

Stupid made by stupid sent to stupid share to stupids stupids share stupids stupid. It's like a wildfire and before you know it its "General knowledge"
You Stalin, Mao and Hitler.

supersunbird

Honorary Master

Yeah, you should see the crap spread around by the public on safety and security group, video clips purporting to show some new crime thing in SA, yet all the cars in the video then have US numberplates.

gamer16

Executive Member
Really? Those are guys who didn't trust people to make up their own minds either.
Right I missed that.

Speaking of Hitler, whom I have a particular interest in (excluding everything relating to the Jews) as he was in my opinion a extraordinary leader, and by God he could deliver a speech I tell you.

And Stalin, a greatly important historical figure, whom brought Russia out of the feudal age intp the greatest yet un concoured military might, of course at the expense of the Russians themselves to a mortality figure far greater than that of the Nazi Reich in total. Yet so far as I can tell very few people cared to notice, especially today's youth who haven't even heard his name let alone know who he was.