WhatsApp data bundle price changes in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
WhatsApp data bundle price changes in South Africa

WhatsApp is the preferred mobile communication medium for many South Africans, and it has replaced SMS as the messaging service of choice because of its improved functionality and cost savings.

For many poor South Africans who cannot afford large data bundles, more affordable WhatsApp bundles are very popular.

Daruk

Honorary Master
The cheapest free me bundle is R70
Yep?
Not saying Telkom are handing out free vouchers to anyone who asks. Saying that you get unlimited WhatsApp if you're on a freeme deal (contract or prepaid). Irrespective of whether your data bundle is finished or not.

bwana

B MyBroadband
Super Moderator
Yep?
Not saying Telkom are handing out free vouchers to anyone who asks. Saying that you get unlimited WhatsApp if you're on a freeme deal (contract or prepaid). Irrespective of whether your data bundle is finished or not.
Not on prepaid. It's limited to 500mb (apart from the R29 bundle which is limited to 150mb).

abbott10k

And here I was thinking Cell C is crazy with their R20 bundle, meanwhile MTN & Vodacom are shafting their customers!

Tsebo_West

I fail to understand how data keeps increasing in price but not in bundle size

This is exactly why i got myself a router

I have an MTN data only contract for 24 months, I pay R99 pm for 350Megs Data and 50 sms's and 50 airtime minutes. I enquired as to a whatsapp bundle , but was informed they were only for" pay as you go" customers. Is that correct ??? Nancy Brindley.