WhatsApp ending BlackBerry and Nokia support

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
I think this is good. I do realize that there are perhaps many in countries like ours that still use these old phones, but perhaps this will be a catalyst to get those old 2G only devices off the network.

You have very affordable new devices on the market now.

system32

Expert Member
MTN & Vodacom must be happy - no more OTT on these devices.
Users will be forced to use SMS at 80c per SMS.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
I think this is good. I do realize that there are perhaps many in countries like ours that still use these old phones, but perhaps this will be a catalyst to get those old 2G only devices off the network.

...surprised you didn't say to use Telegram.

:)

ngwenyas

that just sucks! this is why they must regulate them! why do they support and then turn around all of a sudden and stop the support?

Sodan

Expert Member

That's quite a presumptuous thing to say. "Affordability" is a very relative thing.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
That's quite a presumptuous thing to say. "Affordability" is a very relative thing.
Sure but I think R499.00 for a Android is pretty OK. If you cant afford that then you most likely cant afford the data either for WhatsApp.

Neoprod

Honorary Master
Sure but I think R499.00 for a Android is pretty OK. If you cant afford that then you most likely cant afford the data either for WhatsApp.
Yeah, android phones capable of running Whatsapp are significantly cheaper than BB phones (the cheapest Z3 I can find is around 2k).

saa044

Expert Member
My wife still has her Q5 for a backup phone. I will just sideload whatsapp from the play store on there, done and dusted.