Whatsapp fraudulent seller - How to get them arrested?

janplank

Directly to the point:
Any avenue I can pursue to get people reported & successfully arrested for fraudulent activity on Whatsapp where people are getting scammed?

Last edited:
I don't think that reporting this to my police station and opening a case will have any effect. Not sure if a PI will take it further? Any avenue I can pursue to get these people arrested or am I wasting my time? What happens when one "report" a Whatsapp group?

Then rather report it to the Meyerton Police station?

Buying on a whatsapp group - what can go wrong. No chance of getting them arrested.

As I have said before on other threads... A fool and his money are soon parted.

Why would you trust anybody on a WhatsApp group to begin with?

Some background:
I came across a Whatsapp group where one could buy some "auctioned" goods.
These people sells used and new goods at good prices. Mostly electronic goods. About 450 members when I joined.
It appears you make a price on a lot of goods and after you made payment, you can collect or they will Pudo it for you. Once you collect your goods, its mostly rubbish and half of the stuff don't work They have some terms and conditions about not refunding and you accept what you bought etc etc.
The group has closed its comments and only opened them a short while to reserve a lot of goods and closes it again. A lot of messages gets deleted by admin very quickly. Many disgruntled buyers on the group. Lots of "mad" emojis on messages.
I messaged a few people. Seems when you pay and requested Pudo, there are excuses and more excuses. I bought some Sonoff switches for about R300. Been 3 weeks and story after story. Accepting my loss, others have paid thousands and didn't receive their goods or got a bag full of wires and non working electronics. Some drove from Pta to Meyerton to the seller only to find that some of the goods are not there and have to chose something else.
These people are definitely defrauding people. Like a little cyber crime thing they run. I have several messages of people I sent a pvt message to and all of the people were scammed. I don't think that reporting this to my police station and opening a case will have any effect. Not sure if a PI will take it further? Any avenue I can pursue to get these people arrested or am I wasting my time? What happens when one "report" a Whatsapp group?
Sorry to hear about your loss, I have a more secure Telegram group were you can safely buy used /second hand tech stuff , this group is like the apple store of all groups.PM me if you want to join and I would be glad to separate you with.

Sorry to hear about your loss, I have a more secure Telegram group were you can safely buy used /second hand tech stuff , this group is like the apple store of all groups.PM me if you want to join and I would be glad to separate you with.

with... with what? Separate you with your money?

I knew the risks, that is not the point. Not all people are crooks. I have changed the original post to be more direct. Just trying to do some good here.

There's a scammer (well, two brothers) who has got dozens of cases against him, he's been operating on Carbonite as well as various social media platforms for around a decade. Total value is in the hundreds of thousands, if it hasn't passed a bar by now. Guess what? He's still around. You can lay charges against the person on the WhatsApp group, but changes are 99.99999% nothing will come of it.

Nobody likes being conned.
There's a scammer (well, two brothers) who has got dozens of cases against him, he's been operating on Carbonite as well as various social media platforms for around a decade. Total value is in the hundreds of thousands, if it hasn't passed a bar by now. Guess what? He's still around. You can lay charges against the person on the WhatsApp group, but changes are 99.99999% nothing will come of it.
100% nothing will come of it. They do not care about the little guy when they have thefts of hundreds of thousands to billions that they can fleece.

Add Facebook Market Place to this. Many also link from FB to Whatsapp. I usually report the Whatsapp group via its report feature but more for the sake of doing it as it is just a waste of time. Cannot imagine Whatsapp, while worth millions, has any follow up in place. They do not care.

Also, who do you report to the police or take civil action against. All the names will be fake. Any company name used will also be fake. Any address used will be fake. Only way to trace, and only the Police can do this so a waste of time, is via RICA but this can be easily played and any lead via the ID is next to useless.

The money, if paid electronically, will be going to an account. Report the fraud to the bank - it means Capitec will be inundated. Prospect of repatriation are however slim as money could be immediately cashed out or moved to another account and it is unlikely banks will work together to do a full trace or it could just take too long and then it is too late. I believe when you report a fraud to the bank they give you the benefit of the doubt and immediately place a hold on the account. Obtaining the account holder details is then the next step and only the police can request this (Section 205) so again another dead end

The fraudsters are fleecing hundreds and it is so easy.

Back