Whatsapp in a far away land...

macboer

I am going to the far east and want to keep my current Whatsapp account. Will it work if I use it over wifi?

Any tips/tricks to make this work without cellular data (only wifi)?

thx

Flidiot

AFAIK, Whatsapp won't work like that. I assume you are going to keep all your current contacts though? Why not just install Whatsapp when you get your new SIM and send a broadcast out to those contacts with from your new number - they obviously need to save your new number though.

Otherwise check this, just browsed through the first posts:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1751522-Major-security-flaw-in-whatsapp

Jola

Honorary Master
If you keep your current SIM in the phone and connect via wifi then WhatsApp wil work.

It did recently in my case, but my sim was still active with Vodacom SMS Roaming, don't know whether that helped.

rtayob

I used my iPhone in india with India sim but my local whatsapp account

HavocXphere

Honorary Master
Goes over whatever data connection is currently set up. i.e. could be wifi or 3g/edge depending on phone setup.

isie

Honorary Master
I am going to the far east and want to keep my current Whatsapp account. Will it work if I use it over wifi?

Any tips/tricks to make this work without cellular data (only wifi)?

thx
yes, Whatsapp works fine over WiFi use it all the time on WiFi at home and at work and while roaming I did it recently when i went to Dubai and Bahrain keep your current SIM in the phone and just make sure that normal data (3g, hsdpa etc.) is turned off (as that's freaking expensive when roaming)and you only using WiFi. there's an option on Whatsapp to use WiFi only when roaming too

only annoyance is looking for free wifi hotspot and conecting to them

ChilliGirl

PopCornPeddler
AFAIK, Whatsapp won't work like that. I assume you are going to keep all your current contacts though? Why not just install Whatsapp when you get your new SIM and send a broadcast out to those contacts with from your new number - they obviously need to save your new number though.

Otherwise check this, just browsed through the first posts:
http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1751522-Major-security-flaw-in-whatsapp
My whatsapp is currently working on my tablet as it has more data than my cell and I'm using my cell number. At home I remove the sim from the tablet and it runs on wifi....

Flidiot

My whatsapp is currently working on my tablet as it has more data than my cell and I'm using my cell number. At home I remove the sim from the tablet and it runs on wifi....
Well i learnt something new today!

I know it works over wifi, I use it like that at home too. What I didn't no is that you can have it on a device, using a different number - like what you have on your tab.