WhatsApp is a hit in SA

entrepr

Expert Member
That's very high penetration indeed. It really makes low-cost texting so easy and seamless these days.

I am surprised at the high reports around MXiT as I simply don't seem to come across anyone still using this service.

genetic

Honorary Master
Headline soon might read; "WhatsApp was a hit in SA"... after Facebook rapes it. :p

Fulcrum29

Honorary Master
I can only imagine your WhatsApp messages appearing on the receiver's wall, even should you have no FB connection :whistling:

Nah, possible inbox integration.

JStrike

Honorary Master
I really don't get why WhatsApp is so popular (I know very few people that use it). But it isn't a bad app

Noquarter

Banned
I really don't get why WhatsApp is so popular (I know very few people that use it). But it isn't a bad app
Simple. All the millions of poor folk have cell phones now and they all want to be connected to friends etc. Call rates are too high and unaffordable. Answer: Whatsapp.

That's very high penetration indeed.
Careful Ockie might be in the vicinity

grim

Expert Member
Simple, networks charge what 80c for a SMS?

It's a no brainer to use Whatsapp here

JStrike

Honorary Master
What good cross-platform messaging apps do you know of?

Ockie left.

Don't know. Cross-platform isn't something I something consider. Was just basing my comment on my usage and the usage I see around me, where no one uses whatsapp. But clearly many or most do

semaphore

Honorary Master
Don't know. Cross-platform isn't something I something consider. Was just basing my comment on my usage and the usage I see around me, where no one uses whatsapp. But clearly many or most do

WhatsApp is much better than mxit, now that is a piece of **** software if there ever was any.

saor

Honorary Master
How do you message all your friends / family throughout the day? Are you over 50 perhaps?

pjjdp

Expert Member
Every single person I know uses Whatsapp. Even BB people uses Whatsapp rather than BBM.

saor

Honorary Master
iMessage/sms
Haven't sent an sms in well over a year or two now...the only sms's I receive are from the bank, spam, or my dad :p. Everyone I know uses Whatsapp and it integrates pretty well with android for attaching & forwarding links, images etc. The most used app on my phone.

JStrike

Honorary Master
Haven't sent an sms in well over a year or two now...the only sms's I receive are from the bank, spam, or my dad :p. Everyone I know uses Whatsapp and it integrates pretty well with android for attaching & forwarding links, images etc. The most used app on my phone.

So pretty much the same usage. The only person I WhatsApp is my housekeeper :)

Last edited:

dabbler

Expert Member
If only BBM had created an app for Android a few years back.....
Too late now :p