WhatsApp is destroying SMS in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
WhatsApp is destroying SMS in South Africa

South Africans have flocked to messaging apps due to the much cheaper cost of communication compared to legacy technologies like SMS.

Platforms that were popular in the past included Mxit and BBM, which allowed users to communicate with each other at a significantly lower cost.

Zoomzoom

Executive Member
Actually I still sms people I don't know. I don't like adding people to Whatsapp just to answer an advert for something. I don't know them, and I don't want my number linked to theirs and all their contacts by FB and its tracking systems thank you very much.

ActivateD

Expert Member
How is WhatsApp data bundles any different to normal data bundles? Also SMS died many years ago

Ivanr

Expert Member
Actually I still sms people I don't know. I don't like adding people to Whatsapp just to answer an advert for something. I don't know them, and I don't want my number linked to theirs and all their contacts by FB and its tracking systems thank you very much.
People don't always have data or some people don't have smartphones, I still sms people because the msg gets delivered regardless.
We concur with these statements. We still prefer SMS/Text to ANY of these types of platforms

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
SMS is mainly incoming - notifications, pin numbers, account balances etc, about 3x more unsolicited than requested

marine1

Honorary Master
In other news, water is said to be wet and fire hot. Obviously it has a use still but majority of messaging is though apps like WA and TG

thestaggy

Honorary Master
I only regularly SMS one person. He's an older member of my staff and uses a phone that cannot get WhatsApp.

A few other members of staff I'll SMS when they run out off data.

biometrics

Honorary Master
Agreed. But didn't think to sms. Noted.