WhatsApp is not Vodacom and MTN’s doomsday: analyst

I disagree, if Vodacom and MTN go ahead and start charging extra for OTT data, while their competition doesn't, then they are going to lose a huge number of customers.
I almost want them to do this, just to see them fail.

I disagree, if Vodacom and MTN go ahead and start charging extra for OTT data, while their competition doesn't, then they are going to lose a huge number of customers.
I almost want them to do this, just to see them fail.

I'd love to see this too but, I really don't think that they are that stupid to pour salt into their own "wounds".

It really doesn't take an expert to realise this, I said this a while back

Yes, there is revenue loss for the SPs due to people using instant messaging services - which is actually nothing new. However, there must have been an increase in revenue for total bandwidth usage, it is fact that people have become more data hungry over the internet. Movies, series, music, PC games have gained a massive movement for distributing over the internet - seems as though console games are well on their way here too.

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php/795995-Don%E2%80%99t-tell-me-what-I-can-do-with-my-data-%E2%80%93-expert

The current Vodacom and MTN management will do anything to make their time in office look profitable, even if they destroy the company's future. Its all about today and its all about money.

I do however have respect for Telkom and Cell-C for not jumping on the band-wagon, smart move. Unless they playing the wait-and-see game and then will respond accordingly based on the outcome.

How do they get those data figures per minute.

I tested it out with a friend, around 3hr WA call (Replacement for Skype while doing some gaming)
used around 30mb..

I'd like to see a study which gives some statistics on Whatsapp/Skype/Viber calls made and if the same call(s) would have still been made via non-VoIP calling?

I'm pretty certain the greedy MTN and Vodacon are wanting a bite of the pie that they really would not get in any case!!

In theory, Whatsapp could simply rename itself every few weeks to circumvent any stranglehold forced on them by the likes of MTN and Vodacon.

“OTT uptake is therefore not a real doomsday scenario for mobile operators. They will most likely see their voice revenue decline, which will hopefully be made up for by data use.”

Exactly, surely the demand for data has increased

I'm still amazed that people keep on thinking Vodacom wants to charge for OTT such as WhatsApp. Or block, shape or manage them in any way.

Vodacom never said this and even after we put out statements categorically stating this, the fallacy is just being repeated.

I can only assume by people who've been reading (nothing more than) the headlines. And the journalists who stumbled on click-bait of note. ;)

I'm still amazed that people keep on thinking Vodacom wants to charge for OTT such as WhatsApp. Or block, shape or manage them in any way.

Vodacom never said this and even after we put out statements categorically stating this, the fallacy is just being repeated.

I can only assume by people who've been reading (nothing more than) the headlines. And the journalists who stumbled on click-bait of note. ;)

http://extensia-ltd.com/south-africa-vodacom-to-ask-whatsapp-to-help-pay-for-network-costs/

“To the extent that over-the-top players benefit from Vodacom’s infrastructure, we would seek a contribution,” said Tshepo Ramodibe, Executive Head: Corporate Affairs at Vodacom.

I think you must talk to Tshepo... or else report the media organizations to the Press Ombus for lying.

Yeah, saw that one and did. It was retracted. Think MyBB reported on the correction that came out.

You guys should just have stayed quiet on WhatsApp and let MTN carry it, everyone hates them already.

Telkom doesn't seem to mind being a dumb pipe... you VC guys must not sleep too long, Telkom might steal your cellular data thunder (just to repeat myself again).

You guys should just have stayed quiet on WhatsApp and let MTN carry it, everyone hates them already.
Can't agree more.

But, in all honesty, we did. We only responded after being asked directly by the press on what we think on the statements being made by the other bunch. And if you read our responses you'll see that they only ever said that it's a complex world and the regulator would have to look at it at some point (as is happening in all other countries).

This promptly got turned into "Vodacom is calling for regulation and from there the leap to Vodacom wants to block/charge for WhatsApp.

Neither of this actually happened.

Last edited:
Back