WhatsApp launches new "Search the Web" feature to help users identify fake viral messages

Hephaestus

Forging
Some of you needs to hear this, most news shared on WA, FB, Twatter and others are absolute BS. Do not believe it. Forwarding that message is going to do nothing and or just spread unnecessary panic for other idiots

LCBXX

Honorary Master
Some of you needs to hear this, most news shared on WA, FB, Twatter and others are absolute BS. Do not believe it. Forwarding that message is going to do nothing and or just spread unnecessary panic for other idiots
Most were raised to believe that critical thinking is a sin. You can't blame social media for that.

Realmrbean

"This search will uncover news results and other information about the message in question."

I guess those news results will come from established fake news like CNN,Washington Post and New York times.

Bismuth

Expert Member
"This search will uncover news results and other information about the message in question."

I guess those news results will come from established fake news like CNN,Washington Post and New York times.
And the Poynter Institute probably... So now we will get "Fake News" flags on WA as well, can't wait, NOT!

splattie

When it comes to tech, I know enough to get by, but how does this work if there is supposed to be end to end encryption?

I guess I answered my own question there.

Johnatan56

Honorary Master
When it comes to tech, I know enough to get by, but how does this work if there is supposed to be end to end encryption?

Client sends another request when it detects certain content.
E2E encrytpion is useless if you know nothing about the clients, FB got caught out a while ago sending a copy of all messages to their servers, one of the methods was if you had FB installed on the same device using a shared container: https://medium.com/@gzanon/no-end-t...ok-from-accessing-whatsapp-chats-d7c6508731b2
Remember there being another one where WhatsApp would directly connect to FB and send unencrypted copies if it's a forwarded message (was how the flagging for too often shared message worked).

Bluran

I think they allocate the message a unique id based on its original message content, this ID is kept while being forwarded, once this id has sufficient forwards it gets that double forward icon, they use this id to identify if the message is viral without knowing what is inside it.

If a message is flagged as viral then it shows the search on web icon, the message is already decoded while it is in your phone so its not a lot of work for the application to take the decoded content and call a google search with it. Remember the app needs to decode it for you to read it, so it can very well decode it and call google with the result

So yes the messages are encrypted but only during transit once it hits your phone its decoded, even the backups are stored in clear text