WhatsApp messages still protected and secured, but privacy concerns remain

Hanno Labuschagne

MyBroadband
Staff member
Super Moderator

WhatsApp messages still protected and secured, but privacy concerns remain

WhatsApp is doing damage control after its recent policy update by assuring people that the change does not affect the privacy of their messages with friends or family in any way.

The update required WhatsApp users to accept the company’s new terms of service and privacy policy by 8 February 2021.

Among the changes is a clause that allows Facebook to share data from WhatsApp across its other products. In addition to its social network service, Facebook owns Instagram and Oculus VR.

ghostRgg

The issue is if you trust Facebook to be truthful about any of this...

Every one of those points is straight-up bs though. I have seen it offer options to add nearby contacts or contacts from Facebook. Heck, it has so much processing on locations, images and all of this that I just don't believe that they aren't tracking it.

That being said, I doubt they will do much with it. Except for that one time every advert I got were second hand servers because I spent a day talking about it somewhere. I suspect my keyboard.

"Among the changes is a clause that allows Facebook to share data from WhatsApp across its other products."
Yet they repeatedly tell everybody that "No Facebook will not have this information!" so why invest and go through all the drama to get them linked?

Truth be told Im still going to use Whatsapp, because 90% of my contacts refuse to move to Telegram or Signal.

Corelli

Expert Member
Telegram has been known to be used by terrorists at most times and I have to say that its also been hacked so many times, it's put me off. Also you have to choose between Zuckerberg and well some Russian devs. I am feeling doubtful of them.

Signal seems the safest best and their security is top notch. Also you can make video calls.

I say in order of preference.
Signal or well dont laugh...

Blackberry Messenger is on a comeback trail (has anyone gone to the android store and seen how many Blackberry Enterprise apps there is. It was secure before and still seems best bet. And I am not longer a blackberry fan. But Blackberry has been known for their security for years. and I would trust them over Zuckerberg everyday.

So most secure option.
Iphone with Signal or BBM

The rest really isnt secure.

SilverCode

And Google is just sitting there trying to remember which was the last messaging platform it launched and which one it was supposed to EOL, and which ones it merged into one only to spawn a new competing messaging app that didn't talk to any of the others but could read your SMS messages.

Dups!

Truth be told Im still going to use Whatsapp, because 90% of my contacts refuse to move to Telegram or Signal.
I had 99% of my contacts on whatsapp and I informed them that we will stop communicating if they don't download Telegram.

I have no problem with someone choosing to continue with whatsapp but I have stopped using the app a few days ago... and I am not going back, ever.

So, the choice is clear, if they don't want communication with me then we do not communicate.

ghostRgg

I had 99% of my contacts on whatsapp and I informed them that we will stop communicating if they don't download Telegram.

I have no problem with someone choosing to continue with whatsapp but I have stopped using the app a few days ago... and I am not going back, ever.

So, the choice is clear, if they don't want communication with me then we do not communicate.
That would be fair enough for me to do on a personal level. But a lot of my contacts and work-related stuff is pushed through Whatsapp since that's what majority of the people use and will communicate through.

Dups!

That would be fair enough for me to do on a personal level. But a lot of my contacts and work-related stuff is pushed through Whatsapp since that's what majority of the people use and will communicate through.
In your case, it is a tricky situation. Funnily enough for me, a number of my contacts have joined Telegram in the past week. Even today some are joining, I even have colleagues who have suddenly shown up on Telegram.

Vorastra

Expert Member
Every one of those points is straight-up bs though. I have seen it offer options to add nearby contacts or contacts from Facebook. Heck, it has so much processing on locations, images and all of this that I just don't believe that they aren't tracking it.

That being said, I doubt they will do much with it. Except for that one time every advert I got were second hand servers because I spent a day talking about it somewhere. I suspect my keyboard.

Yet they repeatedly tell everybody that "No Facebook will not have this information!" so why invest and go through all the drama to get them linked?

Reading their actual new privacy policy, it literally says:

• Location Information. We collect and use precise location information from your device with your permission when you choose to use location-related features, like when you decide to share your location with your contacts or view locations nearby or locations others have shared with you. There are certain settings relating to location-related information which you can find in your device settings or the in-app settings, such as location sharing. Even if you do not use our location-related features, we use IP addresses and other information like phone number area codes to estimate your general location (e.g., city and country). We also use your location information for diagnostics and troubleshooting purposes.

So yeah, they're being straight-up liars with their infographics.

Mephisto_Helix

Resident Postwhore
Lol at people thinking this is WA specific. Rawr I'm not using WA but will continue using the internet, a smartphone, other messenger apps, play store, etc etc etc