WhatsApp multi-device support tested on iPad soon - report

Jan

Who's the Boss?
Staff member
WhatsApp coming to iPad

Facebook is developing a WhatsApp app for tablets as part of its new multi-device support capabilities, WABetaInfo reported.

WABetaInfo stated that users will be able to use an iPad as a new linked device with their WhatsApp account using the new multi-device support, which is currently in beta.

"D"

Expert Member
Can't wait!
Soon all those elderly loved ones in our lives who struggle with small screens will be able to throw away their magnifying glasses for good!

Last edited:

ronz91

Expert Member
Well if they are adding this, multiple phone support must be coming, lots of tablets have some support. What's the difference between an LTE tablet and a smartphone?

ronz91

Expert Member
Can't wait!
Soon all those elderly loved ones in our lives who struggle with small screens will be able to throw away their magnifying glasses for good!
Yeah but we have seen how long it takes Facebook to release new features, so it might still be a while unless they have beta accounts. Which I doubt the old folk have.

Gtx Gaming

Gtx Gaming
pc one missing call support, but altleast this saves my phones battery and phone does not have to be connected, been using for week or so now

ghostRgg

Expert Member
I wish they would sort out their gimmick of only allowing one PC or Web connection per account. Would be nice to have a business WhatsApp open on two work desktops and our phones. Hoping this becomes a thing.

ronz91

Expert Member
pc one missing call support, but altleast this saves my phones battery and phone does not have to be connected, been using for week or so now
yeah its very helpful to not have it disconnect all the time coz the phone signal dropped off.

I switched the one account on beta from android to iphone and lost the beta status.

pinball wizard

Honorary Master
I wish they would sort out their gimmick of only allowing one PC or Web connection per account. Would be nice to have a business WhatsApp open on two work desktops and our phones. Hoping this becomes a thing.
What would be nice is having the app running on two phones. Not a silly web interface, the actual app. I like to take a cheapy phone with me when I ride, but I can't take whatsapp with then, cause the app is on another phone already. It's a stupid limitation, and one of the things that makes telegram better.

I understand it's in part because messages in telegram reside on their server, so any instance of the app simply reads off that, whilst whatsapp sends the message to the device like a sms. But still.

ronz91

Expert Member
I think the most likely solution would be for them to allow a user to opt out of E2E encryption and run off the cloud like FB Messenger, thereby letting you use it wherever and on as many devices as poss.

WA Head said they plan to allow WA and FBM to work together, so hopefully thats a long term solution.

ronz91

Expert Member
Oh yeah, as per my previous post, because of the stupid limitation of only have one account linked to one app.
okay yeah, thought as much. As I said before, hopefully this leads to the increase in the number of smartphones that can be used, coz whats the diff between and LTE tablet and a phone.

ronz91

Expert Member
What would be nice is having the app running on two phones. Not a silly web interface, the actual app. I like to take a cheapy phone with me when I ride, but I can't take whatsapp with then, cause the app is on another phone already. It's a stupid limitation, and one of the things that makes telegram better.

I understand it's in part because messages in telegram reside on their server, so any instance of the app simply reads off that, whilst whatsapp sends the message to the device like a sms. But still.
Totally agree.

I have an android and iphone, would be great to just switch between the 2 easily.

ghostRgg

Expert Member

Exactly this too though, that's what I mean and same story.

Like myself and girlfriend want to use WhatsApp for business on two phones, it just won't work, let alone trying to get it on two systems. The only workaround is to pay somebody $0,01 a message to get API access and then forward it through a system, or virtual machine WhatsApp which is just tedious honestly.

Also forbid you have two phones as you said...

stealthhawk

Welcome to 2010, whatsapp worked on Android tablets since almost the first release way back