Whatsapp unable to send or receive any files or media

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Try the latest beta https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/whatsapp-inc/whatsapp/whatsapp-2-21-16-5-release/ else I think a factory reset will be needed.

Whatsapp still works on Android 4.0.3... https://www.whatsapp.com/android/
Thanks, unfortunately no change on the beta
Only when when the connection is really bad. But do have a feeling the version might be outdated
What version Android? It seems like an older tablet, so perhaps it lacks certain security features that WhatsApp needs to deliver the content?
4.4.4 by the looks
Maybe check if WhatsApp has permissions to access the phone storage? Worth a shot, I guess
Definitely has full access - I checked that again
Perhaps also try another SD card altogether.
I've tried without SD card and it still fails unfortunately.

I tried the account on another phone and it works and similarly another account on the same tablet doesn't work. I might just give a custom firmware a go but I'm concerned about losing the 3G radio use.

cpu.

Executive Member
Have you tried downgrading Whatsapp to an older version. Take a proper dive down the numbers and if it work, work your way back upwards in versions.

cpu.

Executive Member
^
When I saw this post, I grabbed my Huawei Mediapad T1 from 2015 and tried Whatsapp. I have 12 days to upgrade it.

Nevermind my advice... :)

honeymustard

My neighbour has had trouble with her tablet where Whatsapp is unable to send or receive any media or files. It's quite bizarre.
I've checked a bunch of things:

- Date and time is correct
- Tried with and without SD card
- There is 1Gb free on the device (it's only an 8Gb Samsung Galaxy Tab SM-T561)
- Tried clearing cache & data for Whatsapp
- Tried reinstalling Whatsapp
- Tried backing up and factory resetting the tab
- Tried reformatting the SD Card
- Tried on WiFi and 3G
- Tried Whatsapp storage and data settings to auto download media when using mobile (all media) and when connected on WiFi (all media) and when roaming (all media) - no difference.

When you receive an image, it just shows the blurred image - you tap the download arrow and it tries then says 'Download failed - the download was unable to complete. Please try again later'
Anyone else had this? Very weird.
Good day
Have you had any success with this problem? I have a Galaxy Tab E and I have the same problem? One day it was fine and just the next day it had the problem. I have tried everything on your list and still no luck

honeymustard

So here is an answer to this problem. Whatsapp does not support any device with android less than 5.0 anymore.

backstreetboy

Honorary Master
So here is an answer to this problem. Whatsapp does not support any device with android less than 5.0 anymore.
What?
Minimum Requirements

Android OS 4.0.3 or above

Little Mac

Honorary Master
Good day
Have you had any success with this problem? I have a Galaxy Tab E and I have the same problem? One day it was fine and just the next day it had the problem. I have tried everything on your list and still no luck
Ah sorry for your hassles, unfortunately not yet but I'm going to try a custom firmware over the weekend and will let you know. I'm going to try Lineage from here:

My main concern is making sure the 3G radio still works after.

thehuman

Expert Member
Saw same problem yesterday
The not sure what phone will try find out
New phone solved problem.

pratlou

Ah sorry for your hassles, unfortunately not yet but I'm going to try a custom firmware over the weekend and will let you know. I'm going to try Lineage from here:

My main concern is making sure the 3G radio still works after.
Has your device 3G radio worked after using custom firmware? I have TAB E 9.6 3G that i haven't used in a while and looking to use custom firmware as some apps I need are no longer available on app store.