WhatsApp users have to accept the new privacy policy before the deadline

Death

Hands up everyone only on whatsapp because everyone else is on it
I've used Whatsapp for years. Feel no reason to run away to another platform (as yet) Telegram i use for business and Whatsapp for personal. The funny thing is, Telegram isn't even End-to-End Encrypted the last I read.
Haven't looked into Signal but at the same time, most my contacts are on whatsapp and I'm cool with that. The moment they start adding ads to it though, I'm out.

DiabloDane

Expert Member
I've used Whatsapp for years. Feel no reason to run away to another platform (as yet) Telegram i use for business and Whatsapp for personal. The funny thing is, Telegram isn't even End-to-End Encrypted the last I read.
Haven't looked into Signal but at the same time, most my contacts are on whatsapp and I'm cool with that. The moment they start adding ads to it though, I'm out.
ditto this

Danie_V

Hands up everyone only on whatsapp because everyone else is on it
Nope basically all those I'm in regular contact with now are on Telegram with some of Signal. The issue is not so much with metadata accessed by Whatsapp (Telegram, Signal, etc can also see that), it's with the metadata that Whatsapp shares to Facebook and partners. That type f sharing is not in the business model of other messengers, nor is their business about advertising or profiting off user data and behaviour.

I deleted my WhatsApp account before the first deadline and the two or three family members that chose not to install Telegram and Signal, I just message via SMS if I want to wish for a birthday or whatever.

XTM

I too deleted whatsapp account at first deadline. Breaching your personal info is not a good sign.

Conack

Expert Member
Very glad about this.

Been running Whatsapp on a separate phone for years which is a pain in the butt.
Now I can get rid of it along with many others and blame it on this forced update.

Facebook showed their true colours ages ago - with the Oculus crap they pulled a perfect example of why they can't be trusted. (Plus getting hacked on the regular and users' data getting leaked).

MirageF1

Executive Member
These days with everyone and their dog wanting your details to use, abuse, sell on, analyse, whatever, it's essentially become crims vs cops on a basic level.

Nothing remains static, even more so nowadays with personal data being the digital gold.

Wherever you go, there I am.
Only way to beat it is to disconnect... Completely.
You may be able to limit the intrusion, but never totally, unless...

Not 1 of you is in that category, so get used to being followed, spammed and used, with or without your consent, explicit , implicit or otherwise.

Donald Bradbury

Recently have noticed that if I receive a whatsapp message from someone that is not on my contact list even, when I go to Facebook, that person now shows up as a possible friend.

So appears that days is shared between apps.