WhatsApp voice calling in South Africa - what to expect from networks

Hemi300c

Honorary Master
"Larry Annetts, chief marketing officer at MTN SA, said*they are confident their data network can support good-quality mobile VoIP calls. “It has been supporting Viber and WeChat,” he said."
Bolox I live in a very established area in Pretoria East being Faerie Glen and 99% of the time all I get is very very slow edge.
You sir should be in government with that statement.

TimTDP

Expert Member
What are the networks going to charge when I use the service?

uchoose

I will probable use Viber as much as whatsapp for making calls, at least they let you use your wireless ADSL home network. There are so many free wireless hotspots around you will be better telling people who call you on whatsapp to install Viber as well. Viber has improved dramatically over the last few updates that calling family overseas is better than calling them on a normal phone. I think Whatsapp will regret restricting it to mobile data only.

Last edited:

ngwenyas

"Larry Annetts, chief marketing officer at MTN SA, said*they are confident their data network can support good-quality mobile VoIP calls. “It has been supporting Viber and WeChat,” he said."
Bolox I live in a very established area in Pretoria East being Faerie Glen and 99% of the time all I get is very very slow edge.
:D stop making me laugh so early in the morning #government LOL

uchoose

I agree the coverage map says I can get LTE and I am lucky to get 3g, mostly I get edge and on the odd occasion I get H my phone my signal drops from 1 bar to zero bar.

abbott10k

I have a feeling that some of these networks will throttle the traffic as they can't really compare Whatsapp with Viber. Whatsapp has way too many people using it at the moment & network quality will suffer.

abbott10k

I will probable use Viber as much as whatsapp for making calls, at least they let you use your wireless ADSL home network. There are so many free wireless hotspots around you will be better telling people who call you on whatsapp to install Viber as well. Viber has improved dramatically over the last few updates that calling family overseas is better than calling them on a normal phone. I think Whatsapp will regret restricting it to mobile data only.
I know for sure it works over WiFi...

bantu

I just hope whatsapp(facebook) will end up supporting ADSL and wifi for voice calling

SilverNodashi

Expert Member
And in other news, "you will pay upto R2/min for whatsup voicecalls, popular cellular networks said"....

kianm

Honorary Master
I have been enjoying my free viber calls for years, now this is going to bring too much attention to voip and will probably affect the other voip services. No good for the existing services which weren't throttled or shaped all along :crying:

Petec

Expert Member
Ye kianm,

The unthrottled party is soon to be over :(
We have been making "free" videophone calls through Skype (via our home ADSL wifi) for a while now. It's going to be terrible when that gets throttled/shaped to death :(

F1 Fan

Expert Member
Ye kianm,

The unthrottled party is soon to be over :(
We have been making "free" videophone calls through Skype (via our home ADSL wifi) for a while now. It's going to be terrible when that gets throttled/shaped to death :(
Erm cellular networks cannot shape your home ADSL..