WhatsApp vs BBM vs Mxit vs 2go in South Africa

koeks525

Expert Member
Hahaha I had no idea we had 2Go in SA and that it could stand next to Mxit, FB and WA.

I'm surprised MXit grew over 2012 - 2013.

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
WhatsApp will win this one hands down.

Or else WeChat will surprise everyone.

Wtf is 2go?

Nerfherder

Honorary Master
Too late, methinks. But time will tell.

They should have done it ages ago.... every month they delay will make it worse.

I still think BBM is the better app, even if its just the way it handles groups.

Also it will have to be free.

Ockie

Resident Lead Bender
Too late, methinks. But time will tell.

Nah ... I dont think so. I see no more reason to bother pin pins and crap ... besides ... WhatsApp does what BBM does ... maybe even a little better appart from the read receitp .... though you can perhaps use the "last seen" indicator to assume if your message was read or not. Besides ...... if somone have not responded to your message in 1 day ... think pretty safe to assume you are being ignored ... dont need a read receipt to tell you that hehehe.

Hamish McPanji

Honorary Master
If I may put my ten cents in, there is probably some Chinese or Korean company who is going to own this particular sector shortly. They will probably have some huge marketing campaign with celebrities thrown in and will win purely because of the size of the Chinese base, and before you can say what's app, we will have all changed the client we chat on.

:eek:

ShaunSA

Derailment Squad
If I may put my ten cents in, there is probably some Chinese or Korean company who is going to own this particular sector shortly. They will probably have some huge marketing campaign with celebrities thrown in and will win purely because of the size of the Chinese base, and before you can say what's app, we will have all changed the client we chat on.

:eek:

I see what you did there :D

Viva

Expert Member
BBM's "pin" method of adding someone to your group is rather cumbersome. If they do launch BBM for other platforms, I'll stick to WhatsApp as it works well and has become the norm in my social circle. Unless the introduce something completely new and revolutionary, that is.

Guantanamo

Expert Member
Ya, I think Whatsapp has this category owned right now. Mxit is aimed at feature phones which might explain why it still has a reasonably strong presence but that is shrinking. They might have been able to stop the slide if they had released decent apps but their attempts for iPhone were pathetic really. BBM is on the decline and I don't see the iOS and Android apps helping that. Too many people have converted to Whatsapp and it doesn't make sense with the pin system and there sin't a reason to use it anymore (for me) since there isn't anyone on BBM anymore, and if there is I can just whatsapp them.

Nephew_

BBM is just loosing out everyday it is not coming to Android/ios. They are shooting themselves in the foot.
And why would you want to use facebook for messaging, just does not makes sense.
Whatsapp ftw.

Nether

Expert Member
Only problem I have with whatsapp is that people who only used a temp number can contact me on whatsapp, even people from other groups.

Having a pin feels like you can decide if you want this person your personal messaging group or not. But I feel like BBM is the new Mxit of socialites.

I can just imagine people cooking up if the see an 'R' status appear and you don't respond back.