When 1TB is not enough – biggest bandwidth hogs in South Africa

MickeyD

RIP
Afrihost.... hmmmmm.... now where did I read about some uncapped folks who can download virtually bugger-all? How about they load balance and treat all their uncapped clients equally?

Wall

Sports Addict
meanwhile, I'm being shaped to death by Afrihost...

elvis_presley

Expert Member
Afrihost.... hmmmmm.... now where did I read about some uncapped folks who can download virtually bugger-all? How about they load balance and treat all their uncapped clients equally?
100% this. My (business uncapped) at Afrihost is piss poor lately. I'm in Durban, so their Telkom delaying the IPC bandwidth upgrade doesn't apply to me.

Edit: Torrents is where it's sucking most. I'm not a giant torrent leecher, but a gig or 2 a day isn't really "heavy usage" for an uncapped account nowdays.

entrepr

Expert Member
Shocking that so few people can ruin the entire market for all of us. I don't know these people but they come across as pointless sociopaths

entrepr

Expert Member
I'm not a giant torrent leecher, but a gig or 2 a day isn't really "heavy usage" for an uncapped account nowdays.
2 gigs a day => 60 gigs/month. That's very reasonable heavy usage, but not in the same ballpark as a terabyte or more.

beans100

Honorary Master
How much will you use per day with Netflix or Hulu or something similar?

Crowley

Executive Member
Shocking that so few people can ruin the entire market for all of us. I don't know these people but they come across as pointless sociopaths
Ponitless? Maybe. Sociopaths... erm, no. On uncapped you can download the whole internet if you feel like it. That is the whole point of uncapped.

(Just checked. I am on about 340Gb on a 10mb line for the month so maybe I can't respond to the pointless sociopaths allegation)

Hectic

Executive Member
My impression is that guys on 1Mbps tend to do about 90 -120GB.
2Mbps = 180 - 220GB
4Mbps = 230 - 400GB
10Mbps = 400 - 800GB

This is my impression of general usage I got from the various uncapped accounts I visit.

I am very surprised with the high usage that was recorded on AH accounts, due to the poor through put we had the last 3 months or so.
That said, although I personally was shaped to 18.85 on Http and 6.25% on P2P for about 20 - 22 hours a day, I still managed a decent amount of bandwidth.
My complainants were never about total usage, but rather about the severe shaping on Http during the day.

3TB is just such a lot of bandwidth, even taking in account that it was on a 40Mbps line.

Hectic

Executive Member
How much will you use per day with Netflix or Hulu or something similar?
I've seen people talking about 180 -200GB purely on streaming Netflix.
Not sure if that is only 1 TV and the what the quality was.

DrJohnZoidberg

Honorary Master
I've seen people talking about 180 -200GB purely on streaming Netflix.
Not sure if that is only 1 TV and the what the quality was.
Yep, you can easily do that especially when everything is streaming at 1080p.

Keeper

Honorary Master
3TB/month = 100GB per day.
What does this guy do, watch 10 x 10GB Blurays every single day of his life?

Edit: I just realised I'm a bigger hog than he is, comparatively.... He might download roughly 8 times what I do on average, but he has 20X my speed.

Edit 2: If this guy was maxing his 40mbit line he would be closer to 10-12TB/month... so he's really only using full speed 25-33% of the time (about 6-8 hours of the day)
(or......using only 10Mbit of his 40Mbit, full time)

So yeah, 3TB sounds excessive, and it is...but we gotta keep in mind he's using a 40Mbit VDSL line... he could have sucked a lot more data!

Last edited:

Arthur

Honorary Master
3TB/m is unusual ...but who cares about the bits and bytes. Can you imagine how trapped the guy is in media consumption. Poor soul.

wolv

It's uncapped right? You should be able to use as much as you want?