When emails go public. How to avoid sharing the things you should never have said

rpm

Admin
Staff member
When emails go public. How to avoid sharing the things you should never have said

[1] Always keep it brief. The more you write, the harder it is to check you haven’t said something you will regret.
[2] Never write email when you are angry or emotional. Leave it for 24 hours before writing, if at all.
[3] Never write email when you have been drinking.
[4] Never include personal, intolerant, or insensitive statements in corporate email.

Shaun108

Executive Member
Or you could not use a free email service. Rather use hushmail or tormail.

LaraC

Honorary Master
Is nondisclosure clauses applicable on emails?

LaraC

Honorary Master
You can NDA it for all you want, but that is not a surefire guarantee....
In other words you are at the mercy of the recipient, the security of your email system and there are no take-backs once you’ve clicked send.

Thor

Honorary Master
In other words you are at the mercy of the recipient, the security of your email system and there are no take-backs once you’ve clicked send.
Pretty much, I have seen this countless times. What happens with your mail after it was send is out of your hands really.

beans100

Honorary Master

[1] Always keep it brief. The more you write, the harder it is to check you haven’t said something you will regret.
[2] Never write email when you are angry or emotional. Leave it for 24 hours before writing, if at all.
[3] Never write email when you have been drinking.
[4] Never include personal, intolerant, or insensitive statements in corporate email.
I can try, but I tend to not agree with myself when I'm drunk

LaraC

Honorary Master
There are such services already available.
I have seen such letter from one of local banks.
When you use Microsoft Outlook there is an option for an email to expire after a period you specify. Will it prevent people from opening it when the time has run out?

Impulse_One

When you use Microsoft Outlook there is an option for an email to expire after a period you specify. Will it prevent people from opening it when the time has run out?
It removes itself from recipient's inbox after reading or timeout, but external paid service.

Space_Chief

Honorary Master
Or just deny, deny, deny.

It's not possible to prove an email sourced from a third party is real. Anybody can fake headers. And anybody can fake email contents.

A genuine email may be stolen and edited to insert incriminating material.

Unless the ISP/owner of the mail server can confirm the headers, or some intersection has occurred under legal warrant, it's not possible to prove an email is legitimate. So maybe just deny.