When fixed-LTE is cheaper than fibre in South Africa

Jamie McKane

MyBroadband Journalist
Super Moderator
When it is cheaper to get fibre instead of fixed LTE in South Africa

Getting fibre-to-the-home if it is available in your area is not necessarily a no-brainer, according to research from adjunct professor Brian Armstrong, the chair in digital business at the Wits Business School.

Armstrong’s research shows that the cheapest Internet connection in South Africa, measured in terms of price per megabyte (per-MB), changes depending on the amount of data being consumed per month.

Thor

Honorary Master
"measured in terms of price per megabyte (per-MB)"

Give Armstrong a bells!

cavedog

Honorary Master
Always?

Fiber is always cheaper than LTE
Nah not really. Telkom Launched the Smartbroadband wireless uncapped for R599 per month. It was uncapped with no FUP but a few months later they introduced a 300GB FUP. So 300GB at whatever speed the tower gives me and for me that is 150Mbps give or take.

So if you use more than 300GB per month fibre is probably better but for R599 or R529 now after the 2 year contract is still very competitive.

Customer1

Nah not really. Telkom Launched the Smartbroadband wireless uncapped for R599 per month. It was uncapped with no FUP but a few months later they introduced a 300GB FUP. So 300GB at whatever speed the tower gives me and for me that is 150Mbps give or take.

So if you use more than 300GB per month fibre is probably better but for R599 or R529 now after the 2 year contract is still very competitive.
Indeed. I have exactly this, however, my performance is more of the 20-50Mbit range. Still cheaper than Fibre considering I use < 300GB per month

EDIT: If Fibre became available in my area I'll probably move over, simply due to the fact that speeds will be much more consistent, but it'll be a hard sell to pay R100 more per month (R529 vs R667) and have a permanent speed cap of 10Mbit (Operserve + AH)

Last edited:

cr@zydude

Executive Member
I looked at fibre when it became available for me but for my low data usage lte works out cheaper.

Swa

Honorary Master
This doesn't even include options like Rain where people are doing hundreds of GB's. I'll say it again, fibre providers should come to the party and realise that their prices are just too expensive for the majority of people where mobile options are still perfectly adequate. They're still in the mindset of low hanging fruit when that phase has been over for 5 years. 5G is going to give them a serious run for the money.

system32

Expert Member

Can you still buy the Smartbroadband wireless uncapped for R599 per month?
It was a promotion June 2015.

The current version is R899.
https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/smartbroadband-wireless-uncapped/
Uncapped (T&C FUP apply - severly limited) LTE All Hours package gives you full internet access 24/7 for only R899pm for 24 months.
T&C:
Subscribers on the SmartBroadband Wireless Uncapped All Hours will be able to purchase LTE/LTE-A Once-Off / Recurring data Bundles to improve speed once FUP is reached.
Standard Fair Usage Policy (FUP) applies to SmartBroadband Wireless Uncapped All Hours whereby on the 1 st of each month customers will receive
150GB of data that allows for an up to 10Mbps speed and once the 150GB is depleted then an additional
50GB of data is provided at an up to 4Mbps speed and once the 50GB/4 Mbps bundle has been depleted the
service then provides uncapped data at an up to 2Mbps speed for the remainder of the month.
Peer to peer and NNTP type protocols are further speed restricted.
Summary:
R899 on a 24 month contract
150GB at 10Mbps
50GB at 4Mpbs
rest "uncapped" at 2Mbps "stuck thru a straw / unusable"

No thanks.

Swa

Honorary Master
Can you still buy the Smartbroadband wireless uncapped for R599 per month?
It was a promotion June 2015.

The current version is R899.
https://secure.telkom.co.za/today/shop/plan/smartbroadband-wireless-uncapped/

Summary:
R899 for 24 month contract
10Mbps for 150GB
4Mbps for 50GB
2Mbps "stuck thru a straw / unusable" uncapped.

No thanks.
Was only for the first 150 people. Next 150 would fall into the next tier at R100 more. There were 3 tiers. Don't know if they still do it like that.

cavedog

Honorary Master

Genisys

Executive Member
This doesn't even include options like Rain where people are doing hundreds of GB's. I'll say it again, fibre providers should come to the party and realise that their prices are just too expensive for the majority of people where mobile options are still perfectly adequate. They're still in the mindset of low hanging fruit when that phase has been over for 5 years. 5G is going to give them a serious run for the money.
And fibre providers should just write off their investment amount and pretend that there isn't any costs that needs to be recovered?

system32

Expert Member
Unfortunately not but that was one of the best deals on LTE I have seen until Rain launched their uncapped LTE.
If they offered true uncapped or high uncapped (eg 800GB) for R899 I would consider it.
We don't have fibre yet in the suburb.
The product that Telkom is offering cannot be called LTE - it's rate limited to 10Mbps.
It's not uncapped as it is barely usable for streaming after 150GB.
Afrihost are selling Pure 20Mbps uncapped fibre for R857.
Cheaper, faster, and uncapped vs Telkom's R899 Smartbroadband wireless "uncapped" LTE.

Swa

Honorary Master
And fibre providers should just write off their investment amount and pretend that there isn't any costs that needs to be recovered?
Maybe they should settle for a longer ROI. Funny how with all the profiteering people still think the only options are making obscene amounts of money or making no money at all.

Genisys

Executive Member
Maybe they should settle for a longer ROI. Funny how with all the profiteering people still think the only options are making obscene amounts of money or making no money at all.
Perhaps if its so easy you should just start your own FNO?

supersunbird

Honorary Master
Why? Just let the poor use the oh so superior mobile broadband.