When I look at older cars around me...

superskully

Expert Member
When I look at older cars around me, i always look for cars that stood the test of time. In my opinion, i always find Toyota's, VW's, Corsa Lites, Honda Ballades and the older Mercs (230E...).
As i am looking to buy 2nd run around car between 30-45k, i am trying to identify which car will give me bang for buck.
2001-2004 Tazz's are the obvious choice for reliability, but nothing else really (no PS, uncomfortable, not safe).
I like the Merc's and Hondas - but hard to find and they are pricey and quite old.
My personal choices are the Corsa's and Polo's (Citi golf - see tazz and add high insurance).
2004-2006 Corsa lites are available in that price region. Of course reliability is the Issue. I know the older Opel's (like my father had) were awesome.
1999-2001 VW polos is another obvious choice - maybe not great in reliabilty - but its cheap to maintain.

I also saw 2 cars which i would consider, that are reliable but very costly if something goes wrong.
2001 Jetta 1.9TDi full house (140k KM) at 45k - turbo is 30k a pop.
1999 BMW 316I (also 140k KM) at 37k and full house. Any ideas what the cost to repair if something goes wrong - does not have to be an agent.

ryu

Expert Member
The bmw you listed could cost you alot when servicing and if you need parts ...

my choice will be the jetta and\or polo

superskully

Expert Member
I like the polo.
Jetta would be first choice if it not for the Turbo.

I do see a few ford's, but not as much as the other i have listed. But it could the the question of 'i am looking at what i want to see'.

FrancTheTank

Expert Member
When I look at older cars around me, i always look for cars that stood the test of time. In my opinion, i always find Toyota's, VW's, Corsa Lites, Honda Ballades and the older Mercs (230E...).
As i am looking to buy 2nd run around car between 30-45k, i am trying to identify which car will give me bang for buck.
2001-2004 Tazz's are the obvious choice for reliability, but nothing else really (no PS, uncomfortable, not safe).
I like the Merc's and Hondas - but hard to find and they are pricey and quite old.
My personal choices are the Corsa's and Polo's (Citi golf - see tazz and add high insurance).
2004-2006 Corsa lites are available in that price region. Of course reliability is the Issue. I know the older Opel's (like my father had) were awesome.
1999-2001 VW polos is another obvious choice - maybe not great in reliabilty - but its cheap to maintain.

My VW polo 1999, 1.8i was very reliable, drove it from 140k-190k (until I wrote it off on a rainy night)

If you maintain your car well, which is cheap, it should be very reliable.
My grandfather said a car "speaks" to you, if anything starts going wrong, you can usually hear it, before anything catastrophic happens.

edit: except for those 1.9tdi turbos, they just pop without warning... lol

MFour

Expert Member
Don't overlook the Merc W202 range, that is the C Class 1993 - 2000. If you look around a bit you could easily pick one up in good condition for around R 60k to R70k. Mileage varies, but there are some out there with less than 200k on the clock, which is nothing for these vehicles. They have only really one thing to budget for, the electric wiring loom might need replacing after 10 years or so. This will set you back roughly R6k if you happen to be a bit unlucky. Just make sure it has a full service history at either a Merc dealer, or a reputable independent Merc repair shop. Regular service intervals are 15k km, which should not set you back much more than most other makes. I suggest using a independent Merc repair shop for this, much more affordable than a Merc dealer.

As with any second hand vehicle, it is always like dipping into a lucky packet, you never know what you will get.

Mike Hoxbig

Honorary Master
Toyota Conquest RSI Twincam/180 RSI if you can find one in good nick. I'm pretty sure you can even get a Corolla RSI in that price range. Civic vtecs are an option if you're willing to spend a bit more, as they've become somewhat of a collectors item, otherwise you can probably pick up a normal Civic if you're willing to settle for a bit less power.

Forget about the older BMWs - maintenance will kill you. It's the same story with the Jetta.

MFour

Expert Member
RSi - high insurance.
No opel fans i see.

On the contrary, I had a couple of Opels in my life and loved them. They do need a lot of TLC though, and looking after them properly can be quite costly. After doing a few calculations I found that driving an "old" Merc is actually more cost effective and a lot more comfortable than driving a new Opel. So I made the change a few years back. Best thing I ever did with regard to car ownership.

Key

If you shop arround, you can get a good buy. Got myself a 1.6GLS Hyundai Elantra for 29k. Very neat, comfortable and luxurious. This buy caught my eye while searching for a Nissan Sentra. Point is, don't limit yourself to brands only. Limit yourself to the best possible value for money.

wikk3d88

Expert Member
Toyota Conquest RSI Twincam/180 RSI if you can find one in good nick. I'm pretty sure you can even get a Corolla RSI in that price range. Civic vtecs are an option if you're willing to spend a bit more, as they've become somewhat of a collectors item, otherwise you can probably pick up a normal Civic if you're willing to settle for a bit less power.

Forget about the older BMWs - maintenance will kill you. It's the same story with the Jetta.

Forget about finding neat twincams/vtecs/RSI/RXI/200STi's.... most of the ones you will find have been modded and raced to death....

Fazda

Honorary Master
Interesting to see people saying Bantams...they obviously don't live at the coast...they rust whilst you are looking at them, unfortunately, because the engines are great.
My Polos have never let me down and they are easy as hell to service on your own.

d0b33

Honorary Master
I have R30000 to spend and thinking of getting a MK2 GTI, the reason is that GTI does not loose value that fast and parts should not be too expensive(also a dream car), or am I naive and my reasons false? this will be my first car.

Fazda

Honorary Master
I have R30000 to spend and thinking of getting a MK2 GTI, the reason is that GTI does not loose value that fast and parts should not be too expensive(also a dream car), or am I naive and my reasons false? this will be my first car.

Not naive at all. The beauty of a Mk1 or Mk2 GTi is that they are bullet proof, provided they haven't been owned by too many tossers in the past 20 years. Easy to work on and most parts available as well. The chances of getting a decent one, however, are very slim, unless you bought a one owner car like my uncle's...totally mint, and totally original...one owner...but his is not for sale...

wikk3d88

Expert Member

Buddy, i am in love with the Mk2 GTi and the GTi 16v.... I hope you find a neat one... very hard to come by in decent condition, but an absolute hoot to drive

Stevie G

Banned
Might sell my Honda Dohc 160i. Its white and still in an immaculate condition. got fullhouse p/s,e/w,air con,central locking and gearlock. Got 289k on he clock, but still drives like a dream.Going to put it on gumtree soon.Im window shopping for an upgrade.want R29000 for it

wikk3d88

Expert Member
Might sell my Honda Dohc 160i. Its white and still in an immaculate condition. got fullhouse p/s,e/w,air con,central locking and gearlock. Got 289k on he clock, but still drives like a dream.Going to put it on gumtree soon.Im window shopping for an upgrade.want R29000 for it

Put it on hondaboys.co.za/forum .... the guys there go gaga for the dohc shape

d0b33

Honorary Master
Not naive at all. The beauty of a Mk1 or Mk2 GTi is that they are bullet proof, provided they haven't been owned by too many tossers in the past 20 years. Easy to work on and most parts available as well. The chances of getting a decent one, however, are very slim, unless you bought a one owner car like my uncle's...totally mint, and totally original...one owner...but his is not for sale...

Buddy, i am in love with the Mk2 GTi and the GTi 16v.... I hope you find a neat one... very hard to come by in decent condition, but an absolute hoot to drive

Thanks, ok so that settles it... mk2 GTI it is :)

Yea I'm keeping an eye out, saw a nice ad but the GTI is over 200000K :/ I want all leather and electric windows.