When is the last time you saw a cheque in the wild?

Do you still use cheques?

• Yes - I've written or received one in the last year

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • Not recently

Votes: 82 69.5%
  • Not ever

Votes: 24 20.3%

• Total voters

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
have never written a cheque in my entire life, hell I've never had a bank account that offers a cheque book AFAIK and only once received a cheque as payment ... it was in USD for a small-ish amount so by the time the fees were deducted it barely paid for the petrol I used to get to the bank and I got accosted by a f-ing Jehova's witness just as I excited the bank

for my sins I did learn a fair amount about how USA still loves cheques, what with magnetic ink to let the ATM process a cheque deposit and even bulk cheque deposit cassettes ... always wondered why they don't just switch to better methods entirely rather than optimize ancient technology

Mekon

Expert Member
Last time I saw a cheque is after a cretin tried to buy a cell phone from me back in 2006. He sent me proof of payment even though I specified cash when he collected the phone. Said his nephew is on the way to get the phone. I told him not before i see the money has cleared. Went to the bank and they told me it was a post dated (by 9 months) cheque deposit. Anyway never heard from this guy again. Cheque never cleared and was sent to me for some reason via mail. Got hold of the owner of this cheque, some engineering company. Guy had his cheque book stolen and was having a nightmare of a time with all the problems it created.

abzob

Honorary Master
Just remembered that I used to get blank cheques during my first years at university. They used to have some lines drawn on them but can’t remember what that signified.

Flywheel

Honorary Master
Just remembered that I used to get blank cheques during my first years at university. They used to have some lines drawn on them but can’t remember what that signified.

Crossed cheque. I used to write them out like that so that they cannot be cashed out at a bank, only credited to an account.

The Voice

Honorary Master
Cheques are easy to process here. The Lloyd's banking app let's you upload images of the front and back of the cheque, and in a couple of days the money is in your account.

chrisc

Executive Member
Last (Nedbank) cheque-book in 2005. Had a few forms left over and shredded them

S.Claus

CC908370-DFB3-4FB7-8272-BBADA5758136.jpeg
pretty soon we gonna have a retirement home thread on this forum with all the old ballies.

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
We still use a cheque every month for the company to obtain exact cash for petty cash from the bank teller. Nedbank has also increased its fees for cheques and saying that from 2021 cheques will no longer be valid.

They claim they have options for companies for petty cash but for the last three weeks I have been struggling to find a proper alternative that is going to be cost effective.

Wary GOM

Not being able to use cheques won't affect me too badly, but they were very useful as a way of getting proof of payment from individuals.

GIGZ

When buying my car in 2012 and trying to pay the deposit, my internet banking would not work for some reason while at the dealer, so off to the bank we went to get a bank guaranteed cheque.

I'm trying to be all discrete about the large amount I'm going to be walking out with, and the cashier pretty much shouts "we have a level 7 over here!" to get her manager's or someone's attention to come an authorise the thing.

Captain Beer

Executive Member
Many many years ago, the Spar owner down the road used to photo copy all the bounced cheques and they'd be displayed at the tills :ROFL:
Must have been kak embarassing.

cr@zydude

Executive Member
We still use a cheque every month for the company to obtain exact cash for petty cash from the bank teller. Nedbank has also increased its fees for cheques and saying that from 2021 cheques will no longer be valid.

They claim they have options for companies for petty cash but for the last three weeks I have been struggling to find a proper alternative that is going to be cost effective.

Create a 'cash send' voucher and draw from an ATM?

Shake&Bake

Party Liaison
Damn, not thought about cheques in years.

I used to work in ABSA's Cheque Fraud Division on the Foreshore.
Physically verifying signatures by hand.
Was very interesting at the time - but it was a tedious process, that was slow to start off with.
But I found it amazing how the "old hands" would fly through bins of the stuff.

Eventually I got up to pace.
The cheques would be split up amongst the department, by value (million ZAR plus handled by a select few), branch code and account numbers.
You'd always get the same bins of cheques, unless someone was out sick and that work had to be split out.
When it was fully manual, you'd have a little (or not so little) box of signature cards signed by the client in a branch, which you'd have to use as your "sample" for verifying the actual cheque that's come in from a branch where the deposit happened.

Eventually I got to know the batches of signatures I'd work with that I wouldn't even need the signature cards to know if it was "Ben or Claire".
Eventually it became automated - to a degree that signature cards we and the branches had, were scanned into a central database for us to view on a monitor.
The sorting department downstairs in the basement sent up batches of cheques in bins, which would then be distributed amongst the staff upstairs. And it'd be in order on our monitors, to match the physical cheques in the bins. So it really sped up the turnaround time - but it all came too late. Cheques were seeing a real decline - to the point where ABSA and Standard Bank merged their processing units into one space in Cape Town, to save costs.

That maybe lasted a year, followed by retrenchments and centralising everything to JHB over time.

Obviously we were also looking for the fraudulent activity of alterations and forgeries.
Some obvious and others were pretty bloody marvelously done.

In my 2 years there, I think there were maybe 5 cheques that actually got through because of human error, with regards to alterations and such.

Shame, I still remember there was a high value cheque for over a million rand - which a friend, who'd worked there for 15 years, let slip through.
Management immediately goes into Nazi lockdown/FBI/Homeland Security Mode and had her in tears when it came down.
She was found not to be acting in any bad faith, but it was still a painful experience for her.
Was a one of SARS's cheque iirc.

Yoh, I remember having to call clients to go to the branch to update their signature card and to verify they had written the cheque because their signature had changed over the years. Or if they simply just signed in a hurry.
Most people were nice about it and they'd get it done, as it was their primary transaction method at the time.

Those days are long gone now...

ISP cash cow

Executive Member
Create a 'cash send' voucher and draw from an ATM?

I could also use my credit card at the ATM but in order for the Petty cash to balance correctly I also need the rands and cents to balance out. ATM's unfortunately only give notes.

WE could just keep adjusting the petty cash balance in order for it to balance to perfect note amount but it will be a bit of a mission. The other option is that I can go into the teller with my credit card and withdraw the exact amount required but this is also going to be costly. The funny thing is that Nedbank claimed in their Q&A that they had alternative options for companies who still use cheques for petty cash but, but speaking to my bank manager it seems they are just winging it.