When Telkom switches off ADSL, this will happen

Bradley Prior

MyBroadband Journalist
Staff member
Super Moderator
When Telkom switches off ADSL, this will happen

In May 2019, Telkom CEO Sipho Maseko was quoted as saying that Telkom recently developed a roadmap concerning the proactive migration of customers to newer infrastructure.

“We are hoping that in the next five years we would have exited copper entirely,” Maseko said.

lowriderza

Expert Member
I was hoping to learn what will happen to ADSL after it is switched off, I. E. are people just going to start ripping out copper cables everywhere? What happens to the existing exchange boxes with those expensive cards in them, what happens to the staff? Maybe do a follow up article?

Polymathic

Honorary Master
I was hoping to learn what will happen to ADSL after it is switched off, I. E. are people just going to start ripping out copper cables everywhere? What happens to the existing exchange boxes with those expensive cards in them, what happens to the staff? Maybe do a follow up article?
This is South Africa the copper cables would be ripped out by cable thieves way before ADSL is officially switched off by Telkom

deweyzeph

Executive Member
This is South Africa the copper cables would be ripped out by cable thieves way before ADSL is officially switched off by Telkom
Exactly. From other posters on this forum who've had their ADSL unceremoniously taken away from them it seems that cable theft is usually the triggering factor for Telkom to shut down ADSL in a particular area.

Stevewarren

What's going to happen is already happening. Telkom is losing adsl customers to MTN, Vodacom and obviously to Telkom mobile that's why they shutting down adsl.

I imagine the average adsl user doesn't use or need more than about 150GB a month, although streaming services like Netflix are probably changing and massively increasing the average data usage.

My point being is that Telkom doesn't really have a choice in shutting down there copper network. I predict by the end of next year there will be no reason to be on adsl other than for a small percentage of users that use a lot of data and the amount of them don't justify the cost to upkeep the copper network.

Chris.Geerdts

Expert Member
That's a good question. I did the Telkom conversion to fibre myself at my office to try out the system as part of my research. They used my existing copper on the pole as a "draw-wire" to pull through the trees and then through the ceiling to the Wi-Fi router, so that piece was taken by them.

Since there is Openserve fibre in our area, I guess they will expedite the shift and then shut the copper down and I'll be interested to see what happens to the copper to the homes which don't use Telkom

lowriderza

Expert Member
That's a good question. I did the Telkom conversion to fibre myself at my office to try out the system as part of my research. They used my existing copper on the pole as a "draw-wire" to pull through the trees and then through the ceiling to the Wi-Fi router, so that piece was taken by them.

Since there is Openserve fibre in our area, I guess they will expedite the shift and then shut the copper down and I'll be interested to see what happens to the copper to the homes which don't use Telkom
That's pretty clever of them although probably not best practice with fibre.

Heh. Thanks. You learn something new every day!

deweyzeph

Executive Member
And then the fibre will also be stolen...
Most cable thieves are not stupid. There are well organised syndicates stealing copper. They know fibre is worthless, they're not going to risk getting caught for stealing fibre.

CataclysmZA

Expert Member
I. E. are people just going to start ripping out copper cables everywhere?
That's pretty much what Telkom are doing. They're disconnecting customers and will eventually be ripping out the old cable when using it to pull through fibre. I imagine that then gets sold to defray costs of the fibre rollout, so that also means a big drop in the going rate for copper.

What happens to the existing exchange boxes with those expensive cards in them, what happens to the staff?
If there are boxes big enough to be switched to fibre SANs, they'll probably be switched over, but only if they support enough hardware to work on the fibre infrastructure (24 core, 48 core, etc). Because it was Openserve that took over the copper lines, it'll be Openserve that handles the fibre rollouts as well in the areas they can manage to do so.

In areas that are too much work for them, you can expect a number of build-to-purchase fibre networks being rolled out by other companies that Openserve then buys.

Christo4

There are so many places in RSA where the copper lines are stable and definitely working. Why remove it when nothing else is available. How difficult can the upkeep be. Lots of neighbours to help. No issue if Telkom will only allow it.

Gordon_R

Executive Member
Less than 2 years ago we had a brand new conduit installed in our complex (36 units), with both fibre and new copper installed by Openserve. The idea was to test implementation of G.fast (FTTC not FTTH). Unfortunately the project was stillborn (and probably badly conceived).

The upside is that we have fantastic voice and ADSL quality. However many residents are switching to Octotel fibre, and the number of fixed line users decreases every month. I may end up one of the last ADSL users, since I have no need for fibre, and there is still a price difference.

Edit: Link to previous discussion on G.fast/FTTC: https://mybroadband.co.za/forum/threads/fttx-fttc-in-south-africa.919654/

Last edited:

ACBVD

We live in an urban area in a tiny pocket of free standing homes without fibre. One block away from us on all four sides there is fibre (where there are complexes). We have decided to stay on ADSL until we have fibre too - no one can tell us when that is other than "soon" . Neighbours who opted for the free LTE switch could not connect to the LTE network, lost their phone line, lost their email addresses, got zero support or assistance and have obviously given it all back to Telkom and switched to a different SP. We are trying to avoid this. Why do they skip small pockets when installing fibre? There are many Telkom users in our street. I would love to switch to fibre. The staff in the Telkom shops understand 0% of the technical side or criteria - they just sell packages to get commissions. Don't bother going there. The tele-consultants don't have the answers either and all have a different version of what is possible and what not. Very poor training and preparation. That is a bad sign. We have been with Telkom for 40 years. Makes me quite sad.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Very poor training and preparation. That is a bad sign. We have been with Telkom for 40 years. Makes me quite sad.
The story of the country -- the way history will describe the end of South Africa -- in the same way they described the end of the Roman Empire.

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
There are so many places in RSA where the copper lines are stable and definitely working. Why remove it when nothing else is available. How difficult can the upkeep be. Lots of neighbours to help. No issue if Telkom will only allow it.
Indeed
What happens to people in rural areas that DO HAVE working ADSL -- but few or no other options
Although private WISPS are trying this is NOT "Broadband" ......

It is better to kill a thousand than to allow ONE guilty one to escape ...........

r00igev@@r

Expert Member
Most cable thieves are not stupid. There are well organised syndicates stealing copper. They know fibre is worthless, they're not going to risk getting caught for stealing fibre.
Clever blokes those thieves. Won't touch any armoured cables! And won't set a fire under a cable and wait for the repair crew to arrive to hijack the bakkie...
Yes, once copper is gone the crime will stop!

MidnightWizard

Executive Member
Yes, once copper is gone the crime will stop!
NOPE
Crime will just find other fertile grounds.
We will not only have illegal electrical connections but also illegal fibre connections
We will not only have municipalities that owe MILLIONS for power
We WILL have poor "subscribers" that owe millions for broadband. ( subprime mortgage housing bubble in the US )
In SA crime is a cancer that will kill the host !

deweyzeph

Executive Member
NOPE
Crime will just find other fertile grounds.
We will not only have illegal electrical connections but also illegal fibre connections
We will not only have municipalities that owe MILLIONS for power
We WILL have poor "subscribers" that owe millions for broadband. ( subprime mortgage housing bubble in the US )
In SA crime is a cancer that will kill the host !
Pretty sure rooigevaar's reply had a healthy dose of sarcasm.