When Telkom switches off your ADSL, this is what you can expect

cavedog

Honorary Master
Take NOTE of the following:

“We do not have Telkom Mobile coverage in Ladismith so this service will not work at all,” Telkom said. “The customer was not contacted by Telkom as part of our migration effort as there is no coverage in this area.”

“We are contacting the customer to cancel the service and find out how the service was obtained so that we follow up accordingly.”

So people getting stressed that omg my copper line will be switched off is not true. Telkom is pushing where it has coverage. If not then you are all good for now.

Telkom CEO also said in a podcast to Techcentral I think it was that migration will take quite a long time as not everyone has coverage and they still have a substantial amount of copper customers.

So obviously Telkom resellers and ISP's will start misleading the public saying adsl and vdsl is being stopped you need to migrate to LTE or Fibre now. Also if your copper will be discontinued you will be offered LTE on Telkom Mobile not other networks and silly offers through ISP's.

Joseph matane

Sad truth I have Telkom Fixed line prepaid, I tried to migrate since June the courier company didn't deliver the so called "fixed line look alike" so ka July I contacted Telkom they did reorder same thing happened the courier company failed to deliver, is now August same thing is happening,
Mybroadband please help me DM for further information, I will be waiting for your call.

bixt

Its 2019, ADSL is not a legacy technology. Its simply Telkoms laziness and incompetence in maintaining the network. Their solution, instead of revitalizing the company, is to shut down the network. What next? Lets see, the office ethernet cables are so 1990s lets remove those and switch all 600 staff over to wifi. Oh wait...

djEJ

“The customer was not contacted by Telkom as part of our migration effort as there is no coverage in this area.”

I was contacted yesterday by Telkom telling me that they are discontinuing ADSL in my area and I should move to Fibre. I was then told, after providing my address, that there was no Fibre coverage in my area and I could keep my ADSL until there is coverage.

The Fibre is going live in my area by the end of this month, so I might just go with another provider that offered to put me on the waiting list for when it is live. I'm losing faith in Telkom as a whole, since they could not even offer me something similar even though I said that they have already laid the fibre network and it should be live soon.

H1TMANlol

Telkom gave me 2 migration options: R599pm 24month 4meg LTE contract or a R799pm 24 month 8meg LTE contract to migrate me from my 8 meg uncapped month to month ADSL line . what a joke . Oh and it's the whole 150 gig FUP AND THROTTLING DOWN TO HALF SPEED ETC ...

Thor

Honorary Master
Telkom gave me 2 migration options: R599pm 24month 4meg LTE contract or a R799pm 24 month 8meg LTE contract to migrate me from my 8 meg uncapped month to month ADSL line . what a joke . Oh and it's the whole 150 gig FUP AND THROTTLING DOWN TO HALF SPEED ETC ...
This entire thing is a black chapter I'm surprised not every single tech site in SA is making noise about this.

Telkom setting SA back 10 years again.

Speed to price ratio.
And price to Meg ratio.

Fox1

Expert Member
R599 is expensive since there's no voice included and no night surfer. I think you do get 50gb P2P data. Those on the 10mbps uncapped package are reaching speeds of 50mbps which is baffling.

Fox1

Expert Member
Sad truth I have Telkom Fixed line prepaid, I tried to migrate since June the courier company didn't deliver the so called "fixed line look alike" so ka July I contacted Telkom they did reorder same thing happened the courier company failed to deliver, is now August same thing is happening,
Mybroadband please help me DM for further information, I will be waiting for your call.
DM @ TelkomZA or contact them on twitter and you'll get help.

Fox1

Expert Member
This article doesn't explain how those with no fibre and LTE coverage can get a broken copper line fixed when neither option is available.

jeevadotnet

How is ADSL legacy? I was In USA couple of months ago and it was their only type of connection for the most of the state. 60Mbps ADSL. The one day there was an issue and I called them up, they send out a tech in 30mins to come and fix the line.

Dan C

Honorary Master
How is ADSL legacy? I was In USA couple of months ago and it was their only type of connection for the most of the state. 60Mbps ADSL. The one day there was an issue and I called them up, they send out a tech in 30mins to come and fix the line.
Max ADSL is 24.0 Mbit/s

Moto Guzzi

Mampara

Helkom speeds are so slow compared to other countries. Why do they have to throttle us users when they can upgrade their network to handle more traffic.

Swa

Honorary Master
Telkom's problem isn't so much migrating away from adsl but rather how it's being usurped by other technologies. They never did anything to reduce the cost of fixed line and make it available on a wide basis. 5G is going to be the nail in the coffin.

Max ADSL is 24.0 Mbit/s
40 Mbps in fact but that's only for the standard protocols.

Polymathic

Honorary Master
Telkom is a joke, our lines were decommissioned in January but before that the maximum speed available to us was 4mb according to their website, a few months ago they installed fibre along the main road of neighborhood to a nearby tower, I kept checking the Openserve and Telkom website to see if fibre to home is planned but once when I went to the Telkom website to find according to the website they offer 20mb ADSL

Grouter

Expert Member
Telkom's coverage map is a bit of a joke. I had 20 Mbps VDSL for years, despite the map still saying it's not available.