When to be forthcoming about criminal record

randomcat

Expert Member
Double murder + armed.robbery. Do not wanted my crime to affect the advice given.
Hectic. I wonder if anyone will like your comment.:unsure:

Nah but seriously if you have remorse and you are trying to change no one has the right to judge you on your past sins.

The_Ogre

Honorary Master
I'll be honest, if I were to come across someone with a criminal record in an interview, I'd hire them. We, and I think a lot of companies, have too many pussies in the office.

Convict

Hectic. I wonder if anyone will like your comment.:unsure:

Nah but seriously if you have remorse and you are trying to change no one has the right to judge you on your past sins.
People can judge, I do not have an issue with it. I would have judged if I was on that side of this post.

What I did was worse then terrible, and I cannot and won't come with some excuse for my past. I had lots of opportunities as a kid, did not grow up in a tough situation. I was just the kid that if presented with 2 options, I would always take the bad option. Why I have no idea, but that is how it played out. And I won't say what I did was a mistake, it surely was wrong, but I was fully aware of the consequences of my actions and yet still chose to do it, it was not something that happened by chance or by "mistake"

RedViking

Nord of the South
Double murder + armed.robbery. Do not wanted my crime to affect the advice given.
I think the crime or degree of the crime matters, so this is kind of important. I would not employ someone if they have murder on their name and I have a physical office building. I believe everyone deserves a second chance if they truly turned around 360 deg. (180 deg?) and have put measures in place to be accountable to someone, but not sure if I want to make that decision on behalf of my company and other employees. I do think however it is not hopeless, there are opportunities, and you might have to create one yourself.

I would also be very angry if I employ someone and only find out later they murdered two people.

Robbery I can work with and put some checks in place.

The other option is remote work. A lot of companies are moving online and work from home businesses. Some of them are even oversees who might not even bother with any checks, as long as you do the work.

I am part of a company and everyone works remotely from various countries. I can't see that we will ever have a traditional office. So for all I know some of my employees or future employees are working from prison, lol. As long as they do the work and are good at what they do and productive. However, I won't employ someone that was a hacker or was involved in cyber crime or something. I would then rather employ and ex-murderer, but has since turned his life around.

Last edited:

newby_investor

Expert Member
@Convict, just to add my sentiments, well done to you for turning your life around, you have my respect sir.

I can't say I have any practical advice other than, given what you've said, if I were hiring I'd be willing to give you a chance provided that your qualifications and skills are in order.

The general attitudes in society towards former convicts are awful. If we don't believe that people can change, why not simply execute them? Most people would balk at that, considering capital punishment as inhumane.

My counter to this is, putting them in prison to serve their time, then letting them out and expecting them not to reoffend, but not allowing any way to go straight, how is that humane? If no one will let you work, what other choice do you have?

Again, my deepest respect for turning your life around. You're doing the right thing. I'm not sure if you're a believing man at all but may God's grace go with you nonetheless.

Sinbad

Honorary Master
I think the crime or degree of the crime matters, so this is kind of important. I would not employ someone if they have murder on their name and I have a physical office building. I believe everyone deserves a second chance if they truly turned around 360 deg. and have put measures in place to be accountable to someone, but not sure if I want to make that decision on behalf of my company and other employees. I do think however it is not hopeless, there are opportunities, and you might have to create one yourself.

I would also be very angry if I employ someone and only find out later they murdered two people.

Robbery I can work with and put some checks in place.

The other option is remote work. A lot of companies are moving online and work from home businesses. Some of them are even oversees who might not even bother with any checks, as long as you do the work.

I am part of a company and everyone works remotely from various countries. I can't see that we will ever have a traditional office. So for all I know some of my employees or future employees are working from prison, lol. As long as they do the work and are good at what they do and productive. However, I won't employ someone that was a hacker or was involved in cyber crime or something. I would then rather employ and ex-murderer, but has since turned his life around.
360 degrees means you're heading in the same direction #justsaying

RonSwanson

Executive Member
To differing degrees.

Some jobs you just need to be able to trust that the guy will show up for work and not steal your car when he leaves.
My new job, I have had to have multiple police clearances, credit checks in two countries, fingerprints taken, reference checks, job history/employment checks by an independent agency...
Agreed. All jobs require trust, some require an extremely high level of trust.
Hiring managers would have a tough time justifying employing someone convicted of fraud, for example, in a senior financial role. For similar reasons, Dudu Myeni is now a delinquent director. Or someone convicted of treason and terrorism in a senior military role, or even a state president. Imagine a state president who is highly suspected of corruption and where the corrupt counterpart has already been found guilty and sentenced. These crazy things typically only happen in sh|thole countries.

RonSwanson

Executive Member
I actually agree with you on the death penalty believe it or not.
I believe you.
I have tried to imagine myself, as a father to a son who has committed a heinous crime, and if the death penalty is due, it's due, and I will need to be able to bid him goodbye. That would not happen without tears and prayers though, but I would be completely prepared to do it.
In your case, you have legally fulfilled your obligation to society, and now you need to focus on rebuilding what's left of your life. Please don't waste it.

Convict

I believe that if you did something bad, you need to pay the price. If someone causes others harm, at times they deserve to die as well. Did I deserve the death penalty, I think so, was my crime committed in another time, I would have gotten the death penalty. There was a stage during my time in prison, where I thought the death penalty is easier then what I got, and I would have taken it, was there an option given.

newby_investor

Expert Member
I believe that if you did something bad, you need to pay the price. If someone causes others harm, at times they deserve to die as well. Did I deserve the death penalty, I think so, was my crime committed in another time, I would have gotten the death penalty. There was a stage during my time in prison, where I thought the death penalty is easier then what I got, and I would have taken it, was there an option given.
Thank you for your candor.

In many ways I'm glad I'm not a judge. I personally don't feel that capital punishment is right, but I'm not a person who believes in absolutes really either. I've also never really been faced with a situation where it's been an issue.