When to expect busy roads between Joburg and Durban in December

phaktza

Executive Member
Nope Vaalies mistake predictable driving for good driving. All vaalies drive badly in the exact same way so it's easy predict and adjust. That said Cape drivers drive like they zoned out on weed :rolleyes:
Within 30 minutes of renting a car for the first time in Cape Town a lunatic CA driver, in the middle of the afternoon, came barreling down the wrong side of the West Coast Road and remove my side view mirror. He didn't stop. 30 minutes.

When to expect busy roads between Joburg and Durban in December

SANRAL has issued a statement warning drivers that traffic on national highways will pick up earlier than usual this year.

The agency said that due to the public schools closing on 12 December, traffic on busy routes such as the N3 to Durban will become very heavy from Friday 14 December, as this is the beginning of a long weekend.
Schools in Gauteng already closing 27th of November... Kids only need to go back for their report cards. Or collect them beginning of next year. So schools actually are closed 2 weeks earlier.

NarrowBandFtw

Honorary Master
Within 30 minutes of renting a car for the first time in Cape Town a lunatic CA driver, in the middle of the afternoon, came barreling down the wrong side of the West Coast Road and remove my side view mirror. He didn't stop. 30 minutes.
I call bullshit, no way you could make it from the airport to the R27 in 30 minutes :p

... or where did you rent this car from? Those rental cars typically have GP or EC plates, he was probably just giving you a warm welcome ;)

phaktza

Executive Member
I call bullshit, no way you could make it from the airport to the R27 in 30 minutes

... or where did you rent this car from? Those rental cars typically have GP or EC plates, he was probably just giving you a warm welcome ;)
It was a Saturday... But yes worse than Sandton on during the week. Glad I don't have to brave it every day.

phaktza

Executive Member
Err...Cape Town is actually an INTERNATIONAL tourist hotspot - we get MUCH higher revenue per person from international than local visitors.
90% of everything else you get passes through Gauteng.

Now say THANK YOU (since we're using capitals for emphasis).

Edit: that 90% includes your bloody tourists. The only damn thing manufactured in CA is snoek!

Last edited:
Yah, but more international visitors fly into JHB than CPT. Have you started building your wall yet?:D
But that's just because of the flights, nothing to do with wanting to stay in JHB. Also we are talking about international leisure tourists in particular, not business tourism where JHB would obviously win hands down .

vigras rojara

Expert Member
But that's just because of the flights, nothing to do with wanting to stay in JHB. Also we are talking about international leisure tourists in particular, not business tourism where JHB would obviously win hands down .

Hey, I grew up in Cape Town. Only been up north for five years. Just like giving you fan boys a bit of stick. (No, not like that Ockie...).

Sollie

Expert Member
One that attracts the majority of vaalies every year in summer I swear. Like they know the first thing about mountains, winelands and beaches, just stay up north and go hike up a mine dump!
You guys helped the Kakies invade the Transvaal - annual revenge is sweet my man!

It's a good thing that I'm escaping Durbs on that long weekend (16th) to the 'bergs. I wonder if people from those small towns also get thick of us flooding their dorpies. :unsure:

Jokes aside, and apart from the crowded malls which I now avoid for this whole period, I quite enjoy the festive atmosphere that comes with outdoor parties all over the show. I am quite happy to stock up early and stay home (or get out of town) whilst enjoying the distant view of the beach and all the drunk drama queens on it. :D I'll have the beach for the other 11 months of the year.

Sugarman

Making Sugar
It's a good thing that I'm escaping Durbs on that long weekend (16th) to the 'bergs. I wonder if people from those small towns also get thick of us flooding their dorpies. :unsure:

Jokes aside, and apart from the crowded malls which I now avoid for this whole period, I quite enjoy the festive atmosphere that comes with outdoor parties all over the show. I am quite happy to stock up early and stay home (or get out of town) whilst enjoying the distant view of the beach and all the drunk drama queens on it. :D I'll have the beach for the other 11 months of the year.
Lucky you, but it seems you don't live in a holiday town like I do.
During these times getting into my own driveway is a mission with GP idiots that does not know how a traffic circle works or how general traffic works.
Driving 40 in a 60 zone, stopping to look at trees, etc. Seems these Vaalie morons has never seen anything simple in there life before......