• You are not registered on MyBroadband, which means you miss out on great benefits. To join our community is very easy, and completely free. Register now.
  • New Two-Day Giveaway - Enter Here

When to install cheap and expensive solar panels

Newsfeed

MyBroadband Newsfeed
When to install cheap and expensive solar panels

Which is a better deal: an established, off-the-shelf type of solar panel or a cutting-edge type that delivers more power for a given area but costs more?

It turns out that’s far from a simple question, but a team of researchers at MIT and elsewhere has come up with a way to figure out the best option for a given location and type of installation.

The bottom line is that for household-scale rooftop systems in relatively dry locations, the more efficient but more costly panels would be better, but for grid-scale installations or for those in wetter climates, the established, less efficient but cheaper panels are better.

The costs of solar cells continue to plummet, while the costs of installation and the associated equipment remain relatively constant. So, figuring out the tradeoffs involved in planning a new installation has gotten more complicated. But the new study provides a clear way to estimate the best technology for a given project, the authors say.

Sparky_za

Expert Member
Am I missing something?
If you have available space, use the less efficient kind.
If space is a premium, use the more efficient kind.

lsheed_cn

Expert Member
Given roof space available on the average SA roof, it doesn't matter what you buy.
Panels are only +-30% of the cost of an entire system.

Buy the cheapest decent high watt output panels you can, and as many of them you can.

300W or 325W panels are the sweet spot, while higher values are available, the price difference doesn't make sense.
Buy for winter, not summer. Have enough panels to run your house in winter days.

You will have the issue that in summer you'll be generating so much excess you don't know what to do with it, but having too much electricity is not really an issue - bitcoin mining, ice cube making en-masse etc all can become viable.

Zophos

Given roof space available on the average SA roof, it doesn't matter what you buy.
Panels are only +-30% of the cost of an entire system.

Buy the cheapest decent high watt output panels you can, and as many of them you can.
Agreed, the battery bank is the expensive part.

My main question is to go Lithium or Deep Cycle? Both have their pros and cons.

I think I'll do the Entertainment System with light first on cheaper deep cycle, then save for Lithium system for the rest...;)

Okty

A little bit of topic, would it be advisable to buy some panels now, before the government tax/license system come into play?

Thinking of getting a solar system later this year.